The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photography (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I know I keep doing this but... (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86641)

tongapup 03-30-2005 06:22 AM

I know I keep doing this but...

has anyone else seen "China Obscura" by Mark Leong? If you haven't, there's a pretty good photo gallery online

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0501/leong_01.html

(sorry that's not a clickable link). Any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Luko 03-30-2005 04:01 PM

Re: I know I keep doing this but...

C'mon...<a href="http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0501/leong_01.html" target="_blank">China obscura</a>... here's your link...

"Any thoughts"

Yeah, one at least... have you noticed that the most powerful portraits are taken from people who don't look straight in your lens?

Something we should think about.

gringofil 03-30-2005 05:46 PM

I actually picked-up the book a while ago. Found it in one of the foreign language bookstores in Shanghai and it blew me away. Some of the the shots are really powerful and give a different view of China which is always nice. And as Luko mentioned portraits where people don't look in your lens work much better.

Anyway, the guy is very talented.

sohrab 03-30-2005 07:52 PM

oh yeah i think philip(coggan) had added this link in one of the forums quite some time back .
you should see some more of his photographs <a href="http://www.reduxpictures.com/leong/">here</a>

if you're interested in china <a href="http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/FramerT_MAG.aspx?Stat=Portfolio_DocThumb&V=CDocT&E =2TYRYD1KOYJI&DT=ALB">marc riboud's photographs are also there

i cross this book everytime i goto the bookshop
it's quite huge and terribly expensive, so i have to stay content with the photographs on the web only

actually simon (flydragon) worked with riboud , when he made a movie on riboud's china photographs, sent me 2 short ( 5 minutes or so) clips of it. really great work done by both :)

sohrab 03-30-2005 08:17 PM

sorry about changing the topic here...
luko remember once you wrote a critique to one of maciej's photographs , the one with a fly on a girl's nose.... when you talked about the appropriate use of a fly in a photograph

you should check out <a href="http://www.reduxpictures.com/contributors/index.html">liz gilbert's </a> portfolio here. shes' done some work on the masais..
there is one photograph with a fly that is really nice

anyway now we can get back to mark leong :)

tongapup 03-30-2005 09:36 PM

Oh good, very important, I always wondered about the appropriate use of a fly in a photo... ha ha.

But seriously, I can't seem to get the link: is it working? Or is my computer being a weenie?

And also: mark leong... RAAAAHHHH... the guy f**king ROCKS!!!!

sohrab 03-30-2005 09:41 PM

which link?

tongapup 03-30-2005 10:51 PM

liz gilbert's

just saw that thread about ppl thinking you were a girl. how could they? it's quite obvious you are a dog.

maciekda 03-30-2005 11:05 PM

wuahahaaaaaaaaa

Lisan, you are so funny, Sohrab the Dog :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

sohrab 03-31-2005 05:45 AM

maciej!!! stopt yapping, it's a really serious matter
they really thought i was a girl hehe

maciekda 03-31-2005 11:05 AM

i know, it was so funny - i was laughing loud reading that thread too ;)
but Lisan just killed me yesterday with that simple statement, that you are a dog, she is so funny

Luko 03-31-2005 12:26 PM

Sohrab's a girl... Sohrab's a dog... perhaps Sohrab's a bitch? who knows :-0 ...

sohrab 03-31-2005 12:36 PM

hahhaa
well the photograph in my profile is that of a bitch hehe
one of these days when i get the time, i'll upload a passport photograph in my profile in which i haven't shaved for months

Luko 03-31-2005 12:53 PM

Then we'll either call you the hairy bitch or baba Sohrab...

C'mon Sohrab, upload of real photo of yours, at least we could then lobby on Pup to show what she's like... you two are starting to be real TE mysteries.

sohrab 03-31-2005 01:03 PM

haha well.... haha
i haven't really had any of my photographs clicked for more than 5-6 years
the only ones that i have are from the agegroup 0-16 or so..
terribly camera shy..
i think you should get after pup.

however if ackerman ever makes a portrait of mine, i'll definitely upload it on te :)

kikvel 03-31-2005 03:34 PM

hahahaha!

I was one of the believers that Soh was a girl! And Lisan I thought you were a man... And I thought also initially Gal was a lady at her 40`s...

:D

TE is really funny sometimes.

K.

Luko 03-31-2005 05:02 PM

Re: hahahaha!

And I thought also initially Gal was a lady at her 40`s...

Muahahahahahahhhha... that's even better than the others!!!!!
You're totally wrong Cesar, in fact he/she's 65...C'mon Gal, show us the wig you put when you go for your 5 o'clock tea at your favorite Geneva pastry shop... Gal, how was last saturday bingo party... muahhahahahha...

tongapup 03-31-2005 09:20 PM

bwaaa ha ha ha

Gal & bingo.

But maybe (s)he'd be more the shuffleboard type....

Like Sohrab I'm camera shy.

OK tell you what. For the next 24 hours (roughly) I will put AN ACTUAL PICTURE OF MYSELF in my profile. And then that's it. Never again.

Sohrab -- it's only fair if you do it too (I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours...)

sohrab 03-31-2005 09:27 PM

Re: bwaaa ha ha ha

"I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours..."

hahah okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk that sounds a little weird :)

i don't have any except one that i already put up sometime back with only the top part of my head visible
if you want i can upload that for 24 hours :)

but if gal uploads a photograph with a wig on, i'll go and get a fresh photograph of mine clicked :)

sohrab 03-31-2005 09:29 PM

Re: bwaaa ha ha ha

excuse my poor sense of humour
i need some sleep
and maybe some chocolate too

tongapup 03-31-2005 09:43 PM

hey tiger man

i happen to know where i can find you among the tigers... maybe you should set up a link to that?!

sohrab 03-31-2005 09:51 PM

Re: hey tiger man

oooh oh yeah i forgot about that :)
cr#p i've been nabbed :)

<a href="http://www.treklens.com/gallery/Asia/Thailand/photo13257.htm">here</a> it is , though the quality is extremely bad

ok anyway i added a very chubby 5 year old photograph on my profile
yes i look as doped out even today.
have a good laugh, while it's there
my dog will be back on tomorrow :)

sohrab 03-31-2005 09:53 PM

Re: hey tiger man

do you realise you seem so much more dosile in your photograph than what a "sane" person(me) would imagine you to look like by reading your critiques hehe
maybe we should send an invitation to gal to join in???

tongapup 03-31-2005 10:25 PM

a "sane" person

sohrab = sane?! if you say so....

"docile" eh? what did you imagine? multicoloured dreadlocks and a tattoo of a gorilla on my bicep?!

BTW, i think gal had a picture of himself on his intro not long ago. i'm not sure if the look on his face was cranky or soulful.

sohrab 03-31-2005 10:31 PM

Re: a "sane" person

no no not a gorilla !!! :)

actually a long time back gal had a black and white photograph in which he looked both soulful and sleepy. then he had one of a clown's hat or something like that. forgive me gal, if i'm wrong :)

however another person with interesting profile photographs is <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/members/Proxilva/">jorrit</a> i see that he's removed his profile photograph, but generally he posts photographs of his hair, and a little of his face too :) very good prospect for a shampoo ad..
where is he anyway ?? anyone has any idea??

anyway gnite to all of you

tongapup 03-31-2005 10:31 PM

hooo-eeee!

i looked at your intro photo! that's a brave move, cheech! i mean, sohrabji! (i hope you know cheech and chong. if not, you've got some adolescent druggie-humour catching-up to do.)

but it will put to rest forever the notion that you are a boxer (the dog, not the pugilist, although it will probably put that notion to rest too -- unless it was a picture taken after your match with george foreman).
:)

tongapup 03-31-2005 10:32 PM

would you get to bed already!?

so you can be bright and fresh for TE tomorrrow morning...

;) gnite

sohrab 03-31-2005 10:42 PM

Re: hooo-eeee!

"sohrabji!"

okkkk you make me sound like a 40 year old fat politician from india.. thank you very much!!!!! #%$@$*&$

"going to bed already?"

oh well i'm on the other side of the world. it's past 2 am here, which is not too late compared to the usual time i goto sleep, but have to wake up early tomorrow

Luko 03-31-2005 11:17 PM

Re: hooo-eeee!

ok you two, thanks for playing the game...

I must say I share the same reactions as Sohrab about your intro image, Pup, didn't know what to wait for though, certainly not <a href="http://www.treklens.com/gallery/Europe/Netherlands/photo12187.htm" target="_blank">Jorrit's</a> type of portrait (I think this is a real winner! that guy beats them all by far..)... Hey, don't misunderstand me, you look good, smart and with a sly look but at some point you weren't very far with your "multicolored dreadlocks", perhaps one of your masked photos... (to say the truth, at some time I thought you were afro-american, perhaps because of one of your first shots...)

Sohrab, what do you have against 40 years old people? in less than a month we shouldn't be friends anymore... (though I'm not a politician, nor fat... ok perhaps 5 or 6 kilos but I'm working them out...) .

Gal, your turn now with that Margaret Thatcher like wig and a cup of tea...

And yeah.. where's Jorrit? he dropped in a while ago but he seems gone again...

kikvel 04-01-2005 01:35 PM

juasssssss!

this has gotten really funny! Luko you made laugh with Gal`s description! juajajajajaja, I am still laughing!

Soh, were you ok after the meeting with those ass biters? In other words is your ass ok? :D This photo should appear in NG or Discovery channel, finally a mistery was revealed!

Lisan, thanks for posting your pic, you do not have to be shy, believe me, an advice, post a picture of yours with a big mexican hat, did you buy one?

And Jorrit is the craziest by faaaarrr here, what a portrait!

K.

sengir 04-01-2005 05:59 PM

I must admit that I also believed Sohrab is a girl, I believed it very strongly.. and had quite strong imagination of her.. including a voice, that I heard in my mind while reading Sohrab critiques..
Only after kikvel's post I started to think "what's up? something is not right here.."
And now my world is shattered..

sohrab 04-01-2005 08:20 PM

haha naaah luko i don't have anything against people in their 40s or oldies in general, infact if you notice this site if filled with oldies and i'm quite fond of a lot of them including you hehe.. don't worry, did i tell you that you look like VAL KILMER in your profile photograph??? :)

hi cesar
yup both my add and i were ok.. this place has already been covered by NG channel and animal planet as well. however this place is getting quite touristic now. luckily i spent 2 days here.. when i was a kid i was pretty much a walking encyclopaedia on the animal kingdom, i wanted to either be a marine biologist and work with great white sharks or a herpatologist working with crocodiles ( aussie saltwater crocs are my favourites.. not too flabbergasted by caimans and alligators) and snakes.
anyway so these people thought i was a scientist who worked with tigers in india, since im able to talk scientifically about these cats to some extent. they are now taking volunteers every year i guess to come and help out.. so if you're interested, let me know and i'll try and look for the contact address..

antoni.. i hope your imagination was only restricted to my voice hehehehhee

sohrab 04-01-2005 08:20 PM

oh i forgot....

"happy april fool's day" luko :)

tongapup 04-01-2005 11:42 PM

april fool's?

what, you really are a girl and that was your brother's photo?!?!

i hope you are because you are certainly breaking hearts all over TE if you're really a man.

OK -- here's the question of the day -- I posted last night at 11 or so my time (that's 23:00 for all you Euro-heads) and now it seems the pic has been lost in the shuffle. either that or no one wants to say anything about it, which is frustrating because it's not my normal kind of pic and i wanted to know what ppl thought.

so i hereby frogmarch every one of you over to my last picture to tell me what you think. it's called scissor girl.

sohrab 04-02-2005 06:50 AM

Re: april fool's?

haha no noooo i'm afraid the hearts will have to remain broken hehe

after i called luko an old man, i also said he looked like val kilmer, so the "april fool's" was for that