The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - Are we afraid to be honest?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 11:27 PM
TE Expert

Default Yeah, yeah...

Had you ever tried to take a look at his critiques, and you would have noticed that he is one of the TE members who writes the most thoughtful and interesting critiques on other’s photographs. Had you ever taken a look at his critiques and you would have also noticed how much he is one of those persons always ready to give a sensitive and pertinent feedback to help other members improve their work. Had you EVER used the “search” function in this forum, and perhaps you would not have started this thread without measuring it properly to what has been discussed over here in the last months.

If you’re completely incapable of understanding the fact that different people may have different opinions, different views, therefore expressing them differently in whichever connections they may have with others in a specific community, I’m afraid you’ve not understood yet the basic principles of relations and social links between human beings.

You have a point in expressing what you need from this community. Take it as your own need and learn to understand other’s points of views which are no worse and no better than yours.

Although you state that ”the majority of comments on the images are simply glowing reviews”, and that “There are much better sites out there for photo sharing without upload and site limits” you still have the feeling that “a sensible feedback is one of the things that brings people here”. I’m not sure if that’s a paradox or not, but you’re definitely going through an existentialist crisis and I guess you haven’t found yet an answer to the question “should I stay or should I go?...”

Tell me Peter, why are you posting your photographs in TE? Have you ever tried to post them somewhere else, in one of those “better sites of photo sharing”? Did you happen to have there thoughtful critiques on your work? Was your work improved by the comments you were receiving? If that was the case, how did you end in TE, sharing your purity of opinion with so many “dishonest” people, totally incapable of providing a sincere and honest opinion on what they see? You would have told that there is a lot of praising critiques, I would have agreed with you. But between praising and dishonesty there is a certain gap…

In your “Intro” page, you write that you are A MEMBER of a community, and that you hope to EXCHANGE opinions, suggestions and observations.

Please realize that being A MEMBER doesn’t mean being representative of a whole community. And EXCHANGING opinions doesn’t mean converting those who surround us to our own opinions.

Actually, I do find that you brought us a rather interesting subject, although there’s already an extensive literature on it in this forum. It’s just the way you bring it to light that disturbs me. In another words, some humbleness wouldn’t do you any harm.

Cheers