The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - Could it be time to consider allocating points to "comments" in line with "critiques"
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Could it be time to consider allocating points to "comments" in line with "critiques"

Here’s a thought that might help the site to become a little friendlier for new and old members.

Just recently in the General Forum there was a comment from a new member asking if her photographs were terrible because she hadn’t received any critiques or subsequent points. This must happen hundreds and hundreds of times without the general membership knowing, and must contribute to many new members leaving, disillusioned because they didn’t receive a single critique for their posted work.

Nowadays you don’t see too many genuine “critiques” of an image posted here on TE. Observations on how to improve the composition, spatial positioning, direction of attention, exposure, sharpness, aperture choice, (with regard to using lens and f\stop to accentuate dof) and subject matter are quite rare. If one were to pick any critiqued photograph at random, pretty well most of the critiques posted, could be, or should be, posted as comments. Most are usually generalised points such as, nice colour, sharpness, good dof, etc etc.

So why do we continue to write a “critique” rather than write a “comment”.
Simple really, comments carry no points.
Depending on the interest, is it worth considering asking the site controllers to change the system and allocate a 2 point Green Smiley to comments? Below is my contribution to the debate.

Two points for a comment would make it easier for all (existing and newcomers) to get more involved in the site. I know for me when I first joined, I found it quite intimidating to critique a photograph, especially photographs of any of the senior members. Yes I was intimidated, not by the photographs but by the mere fact I didn’t think I had the photographic skills needed to properly criticize an image. I loved the image and what I really wanted to do was comment, not critique, but commenting carried no points and I was concerned that my fellow member would be offended that I didn’t give them any points for their shot. So I didn’t do anything, comment or critique. Whether we like it or not the site runs on the “points” system. And it’s a good system, it gives members recognition for their effort and it provides positive incentive to one and all to improve their photographic skills.

I know a few members turn off their points and others say they don’t care about points, but for new members points are an important part of becoming active in the site. And who among you doesn’t like to see a healthy total of points for a posted image.

Commenting is much easier than critiquing, it is far less confrontational than critiquing, and it is a quick and easy way to let the photographer know you like their shot, and really, isn’t this what photography is all about. I know when I write a critique it takes me the best part of ten minutes to cover the points I want to express and longer if there is a workshop involved to show the point I’m trying to make. I could write a general positive “comment” that doesn’t offend the existing TOS in thirty seconds. Now wouldn’t this make the site easier and friendlier for all members?

Any thoughts, or am I barking up the wrong tree

Cheers
Peter