The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - What distinguishes a fine art photo?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: What distinguishes a fine art photo?

Adrian,

Here or there:
The discussion at luminous-landscape.com is worth reading but I was really hoping to stimulate the discussion of what constituets a fine art image here on TrekEarth. For one thing I think the user base here is much broader and much more international. There seems to be a large group of french and swiss photographers and since I am living in Switzerland, this is the market I would be trying to reach.

What's in a frame
I do think that mostly you are right about black frame / white mat. There are some exceptions on the black frame but it still must be more than "just a frame". For example Art Wolfe, a well-known wildlife photographer, sells his "limited-edition fine art" prints in a "signature" maple frame.

But even in a black frame/white mat what's right: single mat, double mat, equal spacing all around, slightly greater margin at the bottom, or a really large border at the bottom. I have seen all of these. And I think in a commercial environment the framing may be nearly as important as the print.

Blurry vision
I'd be willing to bet that on any given "art photograpy" museum site you'll find at least 10% of the images out-of-focus or blurry. For example, <a href=http://www.griffinmuseum.org"> Griffinn Museum of Photography</a>. Another trend I have seen is that pictures of fine art museums (architecture ?) and works of art also seem to constituets "fine art" photography.

So why try to make a distinction
As I said, I am thinking about approaching a gallery to do an exhibition. The distinction is I can buy a stock photo for 1€, 20€ for a poster, 100€ for a managed rights stock photo (Getty Images, Corbis, etc) and 800€ to 5000 € (or more) for a limited additon, numbered, signed "fine art" print.

I guess the real proof is, "If you can get someone to pay 800€ for a photo print, it's a fine art."

Does printing matter?
I mean does it matter beyond accurately reproducing the image. The fine art museum în Basel Switzerland has an online catalog of "fine art" photography and nearly all of the photos have been printed on archival quality paper using a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightJet"> Lightjet printer</a> (prints a "true" photo using red/blue/green lasers on photo paper at sizes up to 3 meters x the length of the roll).

ciao
charlie