Thread: beta TrekEarth
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 PM
TE Expert

IBJoel:
Yest I think it explains a lot.
I thought that the forum has a secondary role here.
I think that this place, as a gallery, is quite unique. There are places where people show better quality photos, or have more freedom like Flickr where you can upload many photos. But the aspect of location combined with local maps is unique. That is why I though the world map could be also bigger but I think you already told me that it would require too big effort and will not be done.
This is an aspect which could attract people though. It is one more childish thing but I remember when on FB there was this option to fill the map of the world and paint where you have been: it was so popular!
The gallery has also accumulated a lot of material over time. Of course a lot of it is rubbish and if I could I would do some serious cleansing deleting some old low quality photos of members who uploaded one photo etc but I realize it has the advertising power to be able to say: "we had over time so many thousands members". Obviously there are many ways it could develop. The worst option is no development at all. I am here really because it is exactly what I was looking for. Some members clearly didn't fit in the past, but even they keep coming back. Although many of my friends have left, I usually strongly supported moderators decisions, the rules made it what it is.

Keitht:
No it was not successful. But I don't think it was a serious effort since the points are still there just less visible, plus the total points of the members are also still visible.
If someone is serious about it: lets get rid of any points at all. I don't mind.
On the other hand: is that really that disturbing? Yes it is obvious that there is a variety of photographers here. Usually the better ones leave at certain point. Number of points gives me a numerical feedback regarding the quality of my photo. Even though the feedback may be not honest, the lack of points means I did something wrong. I don't mind that people have sometimes a childish motivation here. Let's be honest: whoever uploads photos here must have something from a child. Everyone likes to be praised. Hints about photographic mistakes are given subtly but I do hear them.

I hope to win a lottery someday. I would buy TE and spend some time to revive it. I am not sure if it can generate money since the competition is quite high but it does create a value, it inspires.