To jernej: Thanks - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jernej 2007-11-13 13:10

Hi Adam;
Another great shot. I have a question for you - how do you manage to balance the light so well? Usually I get the foreground too dark or background too bright when shooting at sunset/sunrise. I do use the Hitech 0.9ND but I am still having problems... Are those rocks in the last rays of sun or are they already in the shadow? Thanks for reply.
Cheers;
Jernej

Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To jernej: Thanks

Hi Jernej,

The sun has just about gone by now. I take an exposure from the bottom part of the picture, then recompose, and slide the appropriate strength grad in. When you say you have a .9 ND is that a graduated ND or just an ND? Because unless its a graduated ND then its the wrong filter and will not give you the correct exposure throughout the image.

Adam.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To jernej: Thanks

Hi Adam;
Thanks for reply. The filter is graduated so it should do the work. I guess it must be special light conditions to get the colors and detail of foreground so well. The direction of the shot is probably important as well - is this shot taken 90degrees to the sunset direction? I tried to capture some photos in the direction of the sunset but usually I got the foreground all black, even if I used the graduated ND 0.9 (3stops). But in the direction perpendicular to the sun the colors are usually so much duller. Anyway probably I just need to practice more...

Cheers;
Jernej