I with to buy a 70-200 and I am eager to have feedback about the
sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO HSM.If someone is using it, could it be possible to
share with me/us his feeling about it?

Many thanks.
Alexandre
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO HSM

I love my Sigma 70-200mm. It is one of the best or maybe the best lens that Sigma has. On sharpness, it rivals the Canon 70-200mm L.

Its drawbacks is a slower focus and the paint comes off much easier particularly around the collar ring. The collar ring is however one of the best implementation of any other lens vendors.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:10 AM
TE Expert

There are a number of sites that give users ratings on lenses. One of the best, in my opinion, is Fred Miranda. The link above is to a discussion of this particular lens, which by consensus is rated quite highly. Check it out and you'll get many comments and opinions. For the record, I've been very happy with my Canon EF 70-200 mm f4/L. Although a tad slower, it is remarkably sharp and can be purchased for about the same price as this Sigma lens. If you're working with a Canon camera, you may wish to consider it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Visit Fred Miranda, as suggested. I've used the lens on the Canon Rebel/300 and 20D. It is a very good lens, a bit heavy to handhold for long periods. One of the best features of this lens, IMHO, is the far superior to Canon lens collar. It's an addition that really helps. Good for indoor action also.
Regards.........
Old 12-08-2004, 09:09 PM
TE Expert

I haven't used the tripod collar for the Canon 70-200 L lens I recently bought, so I can't comment on that, but it is surely a remarkably light lens for the size. I can easily imagine walking around with it all day long. As you note, the Sigma as a faster lens probably is superior for indoor shooting. Checking prices it appears the Sigma is about $100 more than the Canon L.

Here is my latest capture with the 70-200, hand held on a Digital Rebel. Seagull Squadron
Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Curtis,
That is an excellent shot- it speaks volumes about the L glass. I shoot a 300 f4 L, it's a beauty, even with 1.4 and 2x extenders. If I didn't need the indoor low light capabilities, the Canon f4 would be my lens. The Sigma is built like a tank, and after 2 or 3 hours without a pod, it feels like it. But I'm "advanced middle age", okay, old. LOL Both are great lenses, how can you go wrong with either?
JJ
Old 12-08-2004, 10:06 PM
TE Expert

I checked your page JJ and we're likely contemporaries. I assume from your choice of cameras and lenses that your retirement check is a bit larger than mine. I'm afraid the 20D remains little more than a dream for me, and the reasonably priced L glass I bought recently came with a healthy rebate from Canon. But the great pleasure is in shooting and playing on the computer with images, so we use the equipment we have and do the best we can with it. And I'm very happy with the 70-200 and the 17-40 even with f4 maximum aperture. I do all of my shooting outside, so it isn't a serious problem.

As you say, our friend here can do no wrong in making his decision.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:16 AM
TE Expert

Default Hi everyone!!!

Hello everyone at first, interesting to read someone else is looking for lenses...

Curtis:
Can you please check the link below?

http://www.digitalcenterpy.com/busca_produtos.php?acao=busca-cat&id=14

They are Sigma lenses but I guess they are not the LX series, and I can not verify this calling to this store here in Py, they do not know much about it...and I am 4 hours away from them...

This one fits my budget more or less...

Objetiva Sigma 28-200mm 3.8-5.6 aspherical (p/ Canon, Nikon e Pentax)
Grupos/Elementos : 13/14
Ângulo de Visão : 75.4 - 12.3
Abertura mínima : f/22-32
Mínima Distância de foco : 59.1"/1.5m (23.6"/0.6m in Macro)
Aumento : 1:6.7
Diâmetro do filtro : 72mm
Diâmetro x Comprimento.: 3 x 3.1" (76 x 79mm)

But I guess it is not the recommended series in terms of quality, sorry Curtis I am completely ignorant regarding it, I can only know it due to the diameter of the glass...

Can you give me some advice?

regards;

K.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:58 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Hi everyone!!!

I'm no expert Cesar but I did check the site you list and then visited a couple other sites that review lenses. It appears that this model is an older, discontinued lens. Here is a link to one site that has reviews of both the older, with a 72 mm filter and the newer, with a 62 mm filter lens.

Sigma Zoom Lenses

The older lens is quite a bit more heavy than the later version, from what I read. There is also some inconsistency in quality of build, though a camera store employee said the same is true of Canon lenses. A quick survey of comments suggests the lens is a bit soft as well.

You are the only person who can determine how much you can afford for camera upgrades. You bought the Digital Rebel and like me you're probably wanting to do better work now that you have a stronger camera. I first bought the Canon EF 28-135 mm Image Stabilized lens. It was quite expensive and at first I was a bit disappointed. The better I understood my camera and how to work with that lens, the happier I became. It is a fine walk around lens in my opinion. Later I added the two L lenses, taking advantage of a rebate being offered by Canon in the United States. Full price for the Canon EF 70-200 f4/L is a bit over five hundred dollars, which is quite reasonable for this quality glass, at least when you compare it with other L lenses.

I mention all of this to suggest that it may serve you in the long run if you save your money and wait until you can buy really good lenses, rather than simply add the convenience of a long zoom that gives less than crisp images. From all the reading I've done it seems very difficult to get long zooms that produce excellent images UNLESS you're willing to pay alot of money. The irony, of course, is that if you were willing to give up your DSLR camera, you could buy a 5 megapixels Panasonic camera with a fixed 12X Leica optical zoom with image stabilization for around $500. Not too shabby, if what you want is a long lens and easy portability.

Here is a review of the camera... Panasonic Lumic DMC-FZ20

My recollection is the you bought a 28-80 or some such mid-range Canon zoom that you weren't happy with. Here is a link to an extended review of Canon lenses. They make some of the best glass in the world and some that isn't worth the price, no matter how low it is. Good hunting Cesar!

Canon's EOS Beginners Frequently Asked Questions
Old 12-12-2004, 02:47 PM
TE Expert

Hi Curtis:

You are still one of the nicest and kindest persons I have met here on TE, and this is a proof of that again!

Thanks at first for hte information, surely I have read the info, and I decided to wait a little bit more. I have tested the SIGMA and Canon lenses and I liked the Canon (at my price range).

I may purchase the Canon next week, I chose the 70-200. It fits my pocket and range aspirations now. For a period of time I will be happy. I do not know how long will this be...hahaha.

Un abrazo mi amigo!

K.