Ned Rants - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-03-2007, 01:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Ned Rants

Ron.. I agree that it's not a TE thing.. and I guess that is the bigger issue. But that's way bigger than anything we can really affect. But as big as TE has become, it's still within the realm of possibility that we as individuals can have an effect. As you well know, I'm not an regular participant in the forums, but I felt that I needed to stand up and voice my opin...

I agree about the groups. While the groups may work for some, I still prefer to be more open to the community at large and not confine my attention to a select few.

I am pretty excited about going back to Alaska. I'm hoping that with the additional experience I have and the better equipment I've since aquired, that I'll come back with more and better pics than the first time.

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying that backslappers are bad, after all we all tend to reciprocate to people who take time to critique our work. As I said (and mnay more before me)it's just too bad that people seem afraid to provide critism where it's due.

Good luck on your loop... maybe next time I get to Calif I'll look ya up.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 AM
TE Junior Member

There are groups such as you suggest for those who want to want to be part of a faction... but as I mentioned to Ronners, I still prefer to keep my focus in the wide angle format, so that I don't miss new work and members.

It's good to know that the original spirit of TE lives on... it's just harder to find these days I suppose.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:53 AM
TE Junior Member

Don't get me wrong Ned, I do understand your frustration quite well and I'm not going to say that it is not justified. But many threads have proven that these discussions are futile. TE works best for you if you just take it for what it is and do not try to fight the human nature.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:01 AM
TE Junior Member

Hey Roland.. Yes.. I understand... which is why I seldom involve myself in many of the threads. In part that is why I didn't introduce a discussion of points, because it's really not about points for me. I would be perfectly happy if I never recieved another point or smiley, as long as people provide thoughtful critiqes.

Just let me say too, that I do recieve many thoughtful and honest critiques to my meager offerings, and thanks to all of you who take the time to help me to be better.

One last thought and that will be my last post to this thread.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" (from the movie "Die Hard")

Thanks for listenting..
Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 AM
TE Senior Member

A man walked up to another man, who was looking deep into a painting he just completed. The first man said to the painter, "my friend, that is a beautiful painting." The painter replied, "what?" The first man said, " I said, that is a beautiful painting you have just completed." The painter said, "but it is just a tree...nothing more." The first man...well, he thought and looked..."yes, it is just a tree...but, I've never seen THIS tree before." The painter said, "this tree has been here for hundreds of years and you pass by every day." The first man said, "yes that's true, but I've never seen this tree the way YOU see THIS tree."

Points are relative, don't get hung up on the critic, just the painting.

Chris
Old 02-03-2007, 07:33 AM
TE Expert

... so true Christopher,

the word "points", the deceiving lie on TE and the cause of all the troubles here, is that intended ?

making people look differently at the world, the nicest thing of photography

for reality, you go there to see reality , you don't need a camera for that,
for compo, technical or graphic stuf, you design it, you don't need a camera for that,
if you've got to tell what people should see in a shot , you don't ...

just make people look differently at their surroundings, the details, the beauty, the ...
the relativity of a critic
Old 02-03-2007, 11:09 AM
TE Expert

'........ but I've never seen this tree the way YOU see THIS tree." .......strictly speaking 'I have never seen this tree the way I see the way you see THIS tree.......' It's that 50% of original viewpoint that is the audience's that creates such variety and interest......an author can talk about their work and tell you what they saw in words as well as pictures...that's their choice....whether you choose to read it or not is your choice...not complicated.........

...it's interesting that in the text of your dialogue that the painter himself believed he had seen or done nothing very interesting or special..or een thaty bthe tree was particularly special...what is revealed to us as authors in dialogue - or in multiplicities of people responding positively to something is one of the key things in helping us to look again.........

best wishes Kev
Old 02-03-2007, 02:11 PM
TE Senior Member

Yes, yes...the dialogue...The painter presented something new out of the everyday, even if the painter didn't understand what the viewer saw...All of this led to a conversation and nobody exchanged points for the words...the points were IN the words.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:16 PM
TE Senior Member

Hmm...my recent response was to both Kev and Henk...it got stuck in a weird spot in the thread.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 PM
TE Expert

...the points thing.........smileys......you get a friendly downturn.....a nice smile or a big smile......emoticons.......gives a little visual sense of where you are coming from....I guess the accumulation of figures in relation to this is about something else though......perhaps....just perhaps it might actually stimulate more dialogue, contact, connection and posting.......maybe Adam was wiser than all of us in recognising that .....maybe deep down it even appeals to that inescapable human need for competition - with others, with an environment or perhaps more importantly with ourselves...........it certainly keeps this community in constant dialogue!!!! ;-)))))

bw Kev