Old 02-03-2007, 04:36 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Ned Rants

Excellent!

8?}
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
TE Newbie

I agree and I agree and I agree. I have not been a member for long. I hoped that a high standard of critique, and I hoped it to be harsh, would better my technique and eye.

I am an amateur photographer and do not have the time to spend long hours looking through hundreds of pictures or spending time on a critique, so I was rather selfishly hoping that guys with more time and experience would help me up my standard and hone my skills.

For the guys who did write harsh critiques, thank you. And for the rest, I'm glad you enjoyed my work.

Some images here does inspire one to go out and do your level best and thank you for that too.

Thanks for the rant and if I had more time, I'd rant too and write long messages.

Have to getr back to work.

Dirk
Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 AM
TE Senior Member

Default write the book?

Ned,
Last year I had a dip in my motivation for TE.
I thought about what to do, read the TOS one more time, and followed the forum in discussons like these.
I'm glad that people do express their willingness to make TE more meaningfull.
A while ago I read Jose Elias's intro (he's back!), and I decided to define my own TE profile. I know, it won't change TE, but at least I hope that every now and then someone will realy look at one of my photos and write something that Helps me.
without even the faintest smiley.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 AM
TE Newbie

Default solution?

How about adding an alternative marking system, whereas each photo can be *anonymously* ranked out of 10? Or perhaps there can be three main elements that can be marked, such as subject, composition and technical ? I am sure a lot of people will express themselves this way, it's much faster than writing an critique
I want to stress that this cannot replace written critiques, but it will filter out a lot of 'nice photo' postings
Now, as a computer science major, I know that it isn't something that can be implemented and tested in one day, yet I can imagine how it can be done, if I am guessing the underlying mechanisms of this site. If Adam likes the idea, I'll be more than happy to help with whatever I can.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: solution?

I think Davidīs take on critiquing is a good one. As an addition to this discussion I have some thoughts in line with you Boris. I think it can be done easier than that, though.
1) Critique the photos you want to critique. If someone gives you a critique it does not mean youīll have to give one back. In fact, should writing critiques just to get some back be the reason, I think he/she is off the mark. I canīt remember ever seeing anyone write a comment (Iīm guilty of this myself). Maybe all the nice/super photo, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWs etc. fits in that category. Just a thought.

2) If you critique someone and write "nice composition", try to describe why you like it, why it appeals to you. If you like the light, describe why, the subject... you get the point. I appreciate all critiques I get, but when someone tells me why they like or dislike something, it helps me to understand, as well as giving me something to keep in mind the next time Iīm photographing a similar situation.

3) On other threads, thereīs been an issue of what may or may not hurt peoples feelings. Well, I do not think that a critique or comment meant only to hurt someone belongs on a site like this. Still, if you put a photo out there, you are exposing yourself, and with something like 50.000 potential viewers, weīve got to accept that not everyone will like what we post. Also, with people posting and critiquing from all over the world, it may not always be easy to know if one is in fact hurting someone with a comment (language and culture are complex things). Should this happen, maybe we could have policy, or an unspoken rule, that if you get a message back after a review telling you that what you said was hurtful, you do your best to explain your intentions, and of course apologize (because hurting someone is not the point, right).

I think thatīs it. For me, the last posts regarding critiquing and points has made me think a lot more about my review of otherīs photos, and I feel that Iīm learning so much more from critiquing now, than I used to (I guess stating my own irritations with TE helped me take a good look in the mirror as well as venting a bit :). Of course, this means that I donīt write tons of reviews, but I feel that the ones I do write (whether on TE or TL) have much more to offer (and feedback from people tell me Iīm on the right track).
And in terms of writing only to the same people, well, do that if you want to, but take some time to look at the rest of the site too. Lots of fun, and heaps to learn.

Recap: Explain why you like/dislike what about the photos you critique. It may seem insignificant or obvious to you, but maybe not to everyone else ;)

Lars-Christian
Old 02-08-2007, 06:48 AM
TE Expert

So well said, Kev. I mean your halting sentences leap from the thread. We have here the elegance, wit and gentle chiding that we have grown accustomed to from you.
You are absolutely right - there is something beneath the mercantile surface, something ancient and modern all at once, something old as time - people communicating, encouraging, reaching out. And if that's a crime, then we might as well sell all our gear right now and call it a day...
-F