Smileys 'unpleasant'? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Smileys 'unpleasant'?

Today, a TE member said me that the +0 and +1 smileys can have an unpleasant connotation. Do you agree with this?

I personnally don't have problems with those smileys, as I like people to be honest. I prefer them to be honest than to give me +2 smileys just to make me think my shot is good. I also give people smileys only according my opinion, which seems quite logic to me.

So, are they really that unpleasant, those green little faces (+0 and +1)? I think even a +0 smileys isn't that bad: it only means that it needs improvement...

We may not forget the meaning of each smiley ;)
+0 Needs Improvement
+1 Good
+2 Great

So what do you think? Do you sometimes experience the smileys as 'unpleasant'?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Smileys 'unpleasant'?

Thomas, just to ask as I am astonished, where have you found such a description of the smileys?
Anyway, unpleasant or better useless is it in my opinion to give a smiley without a description about the reasons. The smileys are a nice add on, but not the important thing. Therefore I do not share this experience. Ulf
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
TE Junior Member

An experienced member sais this to me, although he didn't experience them as unpleasant himself. And yeah, I totally agree with you: a smiley always must be accompanied with an explanation!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 PM
TE Expert

One more time for this subject for the 1.000000 time :)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 PM
TE Junior Member

The yellowish "0 smiley" might look unpleasant to some. That's why I choose the "no rating" option when I think a photo needs improvement. But then again, what you write behind the smiley is much more important.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Thomas, you may call me a nitpicker, but I think one thing was not answered by you:
Thomas, just to ask as I am astonished, where have you found such a description of the smileys?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
TE Junior Member

I don't think it would e appropriate to name the member, but, does it really matter? :)
Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 AM
TE Expert

The use of a smiley as a means of rating a photo has basically become a joke. Majority of people are so focused on increasing their popularity and receiving cheap praise (ie: I'll give you a smiley in hopes that you'll give me one and make me feel 'special') that the whole rating system that it is supposed to represent has all but been forgotten.

A good majority of those popularity/praise seeking people won't even acknowledge evident faults in an image (ie: sharpness, levels, composition, noise, etc. etc.) and will only give it false praise as they're too afraid of losing popularity because (god forbid) they actually give some 'CONSTRUCTIVE' criticism of an image.

Sadly, people are focusing too much on points and debating the TOS (ie: I don't like the consequences of my ignorance of the TOS) and less focus on what TE is really about- a place to learn and grow.

So to summarize Thomas, the person who told you that anything other then a 2 point smiley has 'unpleasant connotation' was correct- IF your only interested in popularity.

My advice: Be a leader and not a follower.

Cheers,
- Dan
Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 AM
TE Newbie

Of course that the +0 and +1 smileys have an unpleasant connotation!

Not later that yesterday, I commented a pict with a positive and negative criticism. I put “NR" at it because I found that it had made a large error on this pict.

A few hours afterwards, I received a personal message of the author saying to me that if I didn't like its pict I didn't have to criticism it.
Moreover he even prevented me that if I negatively noted one of his pict again he would be avenged on my gallery!

Do I need to prevent the admin of them?
What a f***** behavior...

thomas
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM
TE Expert

The admin's will not put up with that type of behaviour. Try and document the incident as best as possible and e-mail ombudsman@trekearth.com.

Blatant threats towards your TrekEarth activity will surely have the member removed from the system. If he wants to act like a child- he should go back to the playground...

- Dan