Editing in daylight vs night light - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-08-2004, 06:16 PM
TE Newbie

Default Editing in daylight vs night light

I was just wondering if some of you have strategies for working with photo-editing software under different lighting conditions?

I have a rather large studio arrangement with plenty of natural daylight coming in through the windows,although never directly onto the computer monitor.

But working in such a bright environment seems to affect my ability to judge proper contrasting,sharpness and hue adjustments.In other words, it looks fine while I am doing the photo-editing as my eyes adjust to the surrounding brightness.
However, when nighttime comes and I have only the overhead fluorescents (daylight tubes) on, reviewing my daytime editing often appears "overdone"....too bright or too vivid which means starting over again.

So is it best not to work in a room with natural sunlight filtering into the space and concentrate instead on night editing?

Just curious if others have noticed this anomaly and how you deal with it? Perhaps I should ask my cat about eye adjustments:-)
Derek
Old 02-08-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Editing in daylight vs night light

My main suggestion - the Histogram is your friend :-)

If I'm working against strong light I may re-adjust my monitor to compensate. Use the calibration chart at the bottom of each photo page as a guide, if you can't see all the squares adjust things until you can!
Old 02-09-2004, 04:45 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the referral to the calibration chart below each TE photo display Adrian....I see that you personally set up that chart yourself for TE members.I never paid much attention to it but will from now on.Many thanks:-)
Am I to understand that the Histogram is strictly a "reader" of photo information and not a tool as such? What is your usual procedure of using the histogram numbers and applying them to the "levels" slider adjustments.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:36 AM

Correct, the Histogram just gives you an idea of how things are. Levels allows you to twiddle things ;-)

For a "normal" scene with "normal" lighting I tend to pull the sliders on Levels until they just touch the limits of the shot, that should fix the contrast range of the shot. At that point, unless there's a visible colour shift I'd probably click OK and then go on to Curves since it's more flexible.

Levels is the best way to correct a colour cast...