To eversmile: Pemba - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great eversmile 2012-01-04 2:45

Hi Wanda!

A merry pic from a part of the world that I would like to visit one day. The bright colors and exposure are excellent and the energy of the kids simply burst out from the picture. Surely a good moment of enthusiastic complicity.

I knew from yquem46 that you were there and I was wondering if you have been to Pemba? If you could tip me about the prices for example? I wonder if such a trip is possible on a budget or if it should better be forgotten without a substantial amount of money? I am used to travel very simply and at the contrary of what was written on the guides or on internet, I also could visit Socotra island ( this unmatchable island, offshore south of Yemen, that has developped tourism of a high standart) like that with a little smartness. Although, everybody tells me that Africa is very expensive and I wonder if I should not to be wise, for once, and to listen to these voices that advise me to give up. What do you think?

My Best Wishes for 2012
Hugs
Marine

Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To eversmile: Pemba

Hi Marine,

Thank you for your nice comment.

Unfortunatley I have not been to the island of Pemba, but from what I have read it is a lot less developed and has more basic facilities than the main island of Zanzibar. Zanzibar its self was a bit expensive in some respects, and I am not sure what sort of budget you are on, but I think that you could get for example a room for around US$50 which maybe for backpacker standards is still a bit expensive. It is fairly touristy and perhaps this pushes up the prices too. As an example of price a bottle of coke is around US$1-2 depending where you get it. If you use the local "dala-dala" transport (local trucks with wooden benches in the back) it could be cheaper to get around or rent a bicycle for example.

The island that you are mentioning of the coast of Yemen sounds great though.

I wish you all the best for 2012 too!

Take Care
Wanda
Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
TE Expert

Hi Wanda!

I gave up the idea. My budget is certainly not enough comfortable for this trip!
But thanks for your advices!
Yemen, is out of reach for other reasons, and I really regret it. I hope I'll be able to return there one day!

Take care
Enjoy!
Marine