Spoilage of SD card by a card reader - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Spoilage of SD card by a card reader

Usually, I download pics via a cable directly from my camera to a comp. Only once (over a year ago) I took away the card and put it into someone's card reader. The card and its content was immediately got out of order. The camera couldn't even format it ("format error"). I had to replace the card (it was pretty new one). Yesterday, almost the same story happenned. The camera could play all the shots on its screen but as I didn't have a cable, I asked my colleagues to take pics from my new card with their card reader (it works ok). The computer was able to open the folder but not the files. Then, after being in the card reader, card being put back to the camera, didn't work at all (again, "format error"). Is it my camera? (Gateway DC-T50). Of course I will never more use any card reader. What happened though? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:32 AM
TE Junior Member

Default emotional addition

The pics taken during my first ever trip to Athens were lost.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:25 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Spoilage of SD card by a card reader

Hi Aleksei

I have used my SD card in many different readers. No problems. I did a quick search on your camera. Seems a lot of people have had problems with the camera not being able to read their cards once they have taken it out and put it back in the camera. The common cause is a problem with the memory chip door on the camera. At times it will not close properly cause some reading problems with the memory chip. Random error messages would occur and sometimes images were not saved. The solution was to jam a piece of paper between the door and the memory chip to get a tighter close. Anyway, do a search on the web for Gateway DC-T50 Memory Card and you will see some results.

Bottomline, I personally think it is your camera.

Sorry to hear that you lost all your Athen pictures!

Peter
Old 03-26-2006, 07:56 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: emotional addition

Have you tried using a software such as <A HREF="http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=graphicssoft&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.datarescue .com%2Fphotorescue">Photo Rescue</A> before deciding that your photos are definitely lost ?
Old 04-08-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Spoilage of SD card by a card reader

Bad luck!

The only difference between a reader and the camera is that most cameras only allow reading from the card, but most standalone readers allow writing too. Is it possible that computer attached to the card reader had a virus?

Did you write protect the card before you put it into the reader?

Also - are you formatting the card in the reader? If so, it may be an incompatible format. Windows XP tends to default to FAT32 formatting, which only very recent cameras tend to understand.

I've never used the camera to transfer photographs to the computer (Kodak DC210, Sony DSC-F505V/U30, Canon S1-IS/A70/EOS 10D) - always used an external reader (since they're usually faster, and it doesn't run your camera down), and I've never had a single problem!

I always read the files onto computer using my card reader, and then reformat the card in camera.