which phototele lense to chose - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default which phototele lense to chose

Hi friends,

I purchased a Canon EOS400D last year november with standard 18-55mm lense. Now I want to buy a telephoto lense. Something which is useful and nt too costly. Please suggest me some options.
regards,

Hemant
Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: which phototele lense to chose

funy noone found it worthy enough to respond......
well thanks all anyways
regards

Hemant
Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
TE Newbie

Hi hgupta
after similar info myself. I have a canon eos300d digital rebel with the 18-55mm lens. I also have a canon 75-300mm lens. I actually bought this lens in 2000 for my first trip to South Africa wanting to get some close ups of the wildlife. First stop at the Timbavati the ranger looked at my lens and said very nice, but you will probably not need it. He was right, he got me within ten feet of a male lion and forty feet of a rhino. But have used it extensively ever since, you can see some of my photos in the South Africa/Kwazulu Natal section to give you some idea. Only problem I found this year, went in the middle of their summer temps 30-40 degrees and high humidity. Although I very rarely use automatic focus, on the odd occassion I tried it, the heat and humidity effected the focusing, sticking etc. Have a feeling this could happen with other telephoto lenses as well, a guy on the boat trip at St Lucia had the same problem. I have found with this lens getting really good close up shots of small birds is proving difficult, big birds no problem, see regal eagle. I am now looking at the 50-500mm or 175-500mm Sigma lenses, have asked here for info but no replies yet. Hope this has been of some help.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Hemant,

Some personal issues kept me away from TE for a very long time, but I am trying slowly my way back. Hope this answer is not to late.

Considering that you only have the kit lens, I could recommend some of the 70/200 zooms (Canon f4L -non IS, and Sigma f2.8 could be options -based on price-, although the last one is somehow heavy).

This would complement very well with what you already have. I would also think in adding the 50mm f1.8 Canon lens. It is plastic and very cheap, but possibly the best image quality you can get for the money.

You also have the Canon 28-135 IS with reasonable IQ, but you already have part of its range covered.

I would not recommend the 'normal' 70/300 zooms because of lower IQ. (You could have the same reach -and better results- using the 70/200s + a 1,4 converter).

Regarding lenses, you can find a lot of info at www.fredmiranda.com

Hope this helped!
Regards,
Carlos
Old 05-13-2008, 01:26 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Carlos, I have posted two messages Converters and Cmaera lenses but have had only one reply, have you any thoughts on the sunbjects