Statistics of the TE member life - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-30-2004, 12:01 AM
TE Expert

Default Statistics of the TE member life

48 hr. ago there was displayed 89.567 photos at TE. There was given 470.106 critics. In average each photo had some 5,2 critics/photo. There was 9.393 members.

After some 48 hrs. there is posted 514 new photos, and been given 1.576 critics. In average 3,1 critics/photo (40% below average)

At the same time there is 68 new 'so called' members. 'So called' as of all the present 9.461 members only some 50% have ever had any activity in here.

What do I know - other than interesting statistics - continuing this way I just wonder... in another 2 years. Wow let's have the 'hornblower' for the 15 members who still write critics....
Old 10-30-2004, 12:32 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Statistics of the TE member life

:)
Old 11-03-2004, 10:54 PM
TE Senior Member

I have had the same feeling, more pictures and less critiques. Half a year ago I made a count on a number of pages a few weeks back that showed that the half the pictures had less than about 6 points and 10 % had no points. I tried the same now in a smaller scale and with no science in all involved it is easy to see that the number of picture with less than 6 points have increased and so have the number of pictures without points.

I think we do have a problem, if posting on TE shall stay fun the pictures needs to be critiqued. Just posting with no response is boring for everyone and will not teach anything to the posters and in the long run quality goes down.

So - how do we get the critique ratio up?????

Ebbe
Old 11-03-2004, 11:05 PM
TE Expert

Pourquoi ne pas imposer un minimum de cinq critiques pour pouvoir publier une photo par jour ?

Why not imposing a minimum of five critical to be able to publish a photograph per day?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:35 PM
TE Expert

You've stared interesting debate here Jack, but as we all no, it's important to be careful about statisfics, and what they are actually showing.

First of all, it's not surprising that older photographs have more points than more recent ones, since the they've had longer to acumulate them (I'm still getting critiques for photos I posted in March, when I first joined). Since new poeple are joining all the time, and at an increasing rate, generally (especially after the BBC boost), then we could expect that the proportion of newer photos to older ones will continually increase, and that therefore the average point count per photo will tend to decrease. This would not be a result of reduced activity by members, but merely an expected phenomemon due to that observed site dynamic.

Secondly, I'm not really sure that it really matter for te health of the site that there are large numbers of sleeping members. It's normal for most sites of this nature, and as long as there is a significant number of active members, then the site will flourish.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:04 AM
TE Expert

yup richard you're absolutely right here. infact someone mentioned something like a minimum of 5 critiques or something in order to be able to post a photograph. that'l just kill the fun here in my opininon. let the members feel like writing critiques. if you make them mandatory , then the quality of the critiques is going to fall drastically as well.
at the same it's interesting to read the stats here. must say that all of you have been doing a lot of research on te hehe :)
gnite
Old 11-04-2004, 11:07 AM
TE Expert

Absoluelu true. However, there are members that write critics, not many, but don't post photos and vice versa. I think that every club carries its llot of dormant members, it is something inevitable. I do not like the idea of imosing a quota to btain the right to post a picture because
a) it would lock out new members, and
b) it would take the fun out of critiquing since it becomes obligatory.
Personnally I write critiques when I feel like writing and not when I have to. TThere are mebers here that write critiques because writing critiques brings points. And than there are those who write critiques because they feel the need to give advise or comment. If we are going to oblige members to write critiques, the quality wil automatically fall.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:08 AM
TE Expert

I've noticed that there is an ebb and flow of critiques. I've left the board a couple of times over the last two months, in part because my life has become more busy with guests visiting, and in part out of boredom with the routine. Of course, I was very active for many months, enjoying the give and take. I note that many of the folks with whom I have frequent and interesting exchanges have backed away from the board as well. Burn out is not unusual or unique to TE.

Now seasons are changing with colder weather and occasional rain for those of us living in the northern hemisphere. I imagine I'll spend more time on the board, as I have today, critiquing, preparing workshops, conversing on forums. I realize that I'm becoming a bit more discerning about my critiques, sharing comments for especially fine images or for newcomers whose work looks promising. I'm much less concerned about gaining high point count on all my photos, which certainly takes pressure off. We all recognize that there are point exchanges made all the time. I'll likely have continuing relationships with those participants whose work I respect and accept the circumstance when the respect is mutual. I note that folks share common interests, whether in the subject matter, the style of presentation. The folks who love black and white photography like to hang out with one another. Folks who like gritty urban scenes, like Torben and Isabel, or industrial scenes like Olli, aren't likely to spend much time critiquing gorgeous landscape scenes.

I guess all of this is a way of saying that TE works. Many folks pass through, posting what they believe is a wonderful image, only to leave when no else shares their opinion. There is no doubt much that comes to the board that doesn't warrant comment. Those who stay will be the ones really interested in improving their skills and who enjoy chatting with others about images. I'm fine with that. I see no reason to change anything here, though if given the opportunity to post more than two workshops a day I'd probably welcome it.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:28 AM
TE Newbie

Sorry to respond to your thread of messages but...
I signed up just some days ago. Posted some photos only after a understood how and where to post them. Did my very best on 2 critics, it took me some time to write in english. But, I'm learning, viewing the photos and read critics from others and become a better photographer. That's in the "About" of TE one of the intentions of this site. I don't give critics on photos that are already been written about, I think I would prefer to mark them usefull. The overall content of the critics go beyond "Great Shot!", so there's the quality I was looking for. I already received some very usefull critics myself, made me proud, got some good tips to improve, but I'm still finding my way in the various ways of making a sensible contribute to this site. I don't mind the stats, to me it's about content.

Anyway it's always good to discuss about the level of quality in content and try to find ways to protect it and even make it grow. Good luck!