How did you choose your user name?

You're on Page 2 of 19
Go to
  • Re: How did you choose your user name?
    should not be it Fura san?

K.
    Bonjour Rosie.

At the beginning of "my internet time" I only used the mail function of my computer in purpose of getting closer to my friends & family in France. I liked to write letters and it became long mails... But I had to choose a mailadres and I did not want to use my own name. So I chose for "Porteplume@mymail.nl" because it reminded me of my time at school in the fifties [!!!], when I had to learn writing with a <i>porte-plume</i> which can be translated as <i>feather-holder</i>.

Well... We did not actually use a feather (goose-quill?) in 1956 - ;o) - but a wooden holder with an iron pen and also a little porcelain bottle of dark blue ink which fitted in a hole in our wooden desk. [See image here]
    When you have learned writing with such a <i>porte-plume</i> you are able to produce thin line up and thick line down, a bit like gothic or calligraphy writing.
    This all story can also explain why we used to get "beautiful" pink inking-pads and also why we had to wear a grey or blue <i>blouse d'écolier</i> / scholar overdress: free translation.
    We also used <i>ardoise et craie</i> [little chalk-board] for practising our handwriting before writing on paper.[ See Doisneau ]'s photograph.]

And that's why I kept my Porteplume nickname for different sites on internet... :o)

Thanks for this original forum item Rosalie, and also for the memories going with my story! ;o))) .

Amicalement – Viviane
    When I first went onto Internet chat about 8 years ago I couldnt think of a nickname. At the time I was using a bike puncture kit called 'vapouriser' so I figured that would do. After a while I shortened it, and its been the online username which has stuck with me.
    I work as a plant operator on an opencast mine or surface mine there fore I use the name Sunshine miner
    G Gair
    sunshineminer@aol.com
    Those are all extremely interesting! Its fascinating to see the thought process that goes into those. Thanks for the response. :)

Rosie
    I knew what your's meant. Actually, I was going to make my name "nara-chan" but later I saw this was done, so i am glad I didn't.
    yes, mine is also pretty simple MA from Mário and LOPES my surname, so all together gives malopes :P

Simple and stupid humm?

Mario
    I did not want to go for a variation on my name, so I chose this one related to digital photography and hopefully punchy enough to attract attention ;-))
    And BTW billions of pixels can confirm I did actually terrorize them !
    Being called Brigitte, a lot of people use Bibi as a nickname. When I decided to create a personal web site, the domain name "bibiweb" was an obvious choice. Since then it has also become the user name that I use on various sites.
    And my long ID:)

eli + hesamian ,well,You know,"Eli" is my wife's nickname who is first viewer of my works and critiquer,too ;o)
    and "Hesamian" is my surname,...then...<b>elihesamian</b> :)

cheers!
    Mohammad