Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2018-11-18 10:50

Hello Dear Viviane,

There is no doubt that snow makes a scene pristine and shows excellent, extreme contrasts. This really is a very beautiful, well composed photograph.
But, I am confused, why is this church built in such an isolated place?
Is there a village nearby which is out of sight?

Big hugs,
Bev :-)

Old 11-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Default To Royaldevon: Sami Church in the middel of nowhere...

Hello Beverley,

I googled the whole day to find more info in English about the little Sami church... And this evening I found it!

http://www.travel-finnmark.no/kapellet-pa-aisaroive/

1953 had begun with some regular summer events, including the Sennalandet. A small mil closer Alta, at Okselv, there was a reindeer slaughterhouse as Sami Mission lent to conventions in the early years, so it was possible to pull in if bad weather. The desire was to build a single summer chapel initially on Sennalandet and Børselvfjellet mountains.

The good solution for Sennalandet came by Kautokeino got a new church in 1958 and Interim church was vacant. North Hålogaland bishop, Alf Wiig, had previously been involved and officiated mass in the slaughterhouse at Okselv under Sami Mission Assembly. He arranged for the Same Mission received acquire Interim church in Kautokeino to move it to a summer settlement for Kautokeino nomads. It seems easy to determine that the place had to be Aissaroaivai on Sennalandet.

In 1960, caretakers in hospitals and old people’s home in Kautokeino, Hans Befring and Klemet JM Hætta initiated to mark the timber and take it down. Later, Simon Johnsen from Tana et al started reconstruction on Sennalandet. Summer 1961 it completed and in July 1961 it was consecrated as a chapel of Sami Mission land secretary Jakob Børretzen.

Senna Land chapel got a facelift what interior concerns in 1971. The roof structure of the hall was lifted, walls paneled, new windows inserted, and a choir addition was joined together with the rest of the plant. Alf K. Tellefsen was in place with the crew from Flekkerøya and Hans Lindkjølen from DSF also participated in the construction work along with Berg from Hommelvik.