Notices

Old 09-10-2005, 09:07 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Some smiles....

I will...
Old 09-10-2005, 10:03 AM
TE Expert

well.. i checked out some of the links given in the comments to this guy's photographs and found out 2 things...

1. there's a whole genre of such photographers out there... schultzy i really hopr you're not one of them :)

2. this guy's gallery is not as bad as those of some other people..
this guy even went to a semi nude beach..
Old 09-10-2005, 05:43 PM
TE Expert

Default They make it more difficult to the rest of us

Idiots like this make it more difficult for the rest of us to go out there and enjoy photography, wonder how would they feel if another moron posted a shot of their doughters, wifes, sisters or mothers in such situations....
No wonder I almost got arrested during lil league soccer game,
Peter
Old 09-10-2005, 08:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Good evening Sohrab,
I totaly agree with you concerning this ridiculous "I spy" gallery. No doubt about it, this kind of people makes it more difficult to the rest of us.
Take a look at my gallery here to be reassure, I'm not one of them ;))
Peter
Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: A great street / candid photographer

what is the link to the article, Rafal? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 PM
TE Expert

I am sure these guys get a kick of seeing other guys criticizing their ways, while looking at the shots, to appraise their photographic skills of course, the old "reading penthouse for the articles" thing. I agree with you guys, in philosophy, yet, boys will be boys.....

Maciej himself had a shot deleted from TE, because of possible identification that could violate the privacy of the person shot. I likd it very much, the philosophy of maciej's photography is foreign to these peeping toms, yet the end result for some shots could be violation of privacy.

I also think there is an element of voyeurism in photography commented ever since the medium was invented.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:56 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: They make it more difficult to the rest of us

Idiots like this make it more difficult for the rest of us to go out there and enjoy photography
-----------------------------------
But it also makes it more crucial, rightly so, and rewarding to work on subject's approach, establish a perfect rapport so the shot comes out shining. The internet has shuffled the cards again, anything that challenges us to work harder at one's craft, has a positive to it. IMO.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:33 PM

Herve, regarding the picture you are talking about here with that guy and ladyboy.. It was not deleted by the administrator, I deleted it. I just didn't want to cause any troubles here - to that guy and to myself... I guess he could sue me for showing him in such situtation. I just don't want such troubles.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: voyeurism

I take your point. Even as I was writing my last comment, I realized that intent is invisible and therefore perhaps irrelevant to the final product. But I also feel that the majority of viewers can distinguish between art that is there to make you think and art that is there to cause a party in your pants. Some art does both and that's when things get tricky. But fortunately we are not dealing with such subtle gradations here; this isn't a court of law so I don't have to define in legal terms what constitutes exploitation. Most people, when seeing a gallery of telephoto shots of women on a nude beach, will probably imagine that the photographer is using it as a kind of communal jerk-off resource, and can therefore imagine how they might feel if their image were so used. Or perhaps an image of their daughter, mother, girlfriend, etc. Not cool. I can't imagine the photographer would be willing to show his subject the image he's just captured. If he isn't, that to me is an indication that he ought not to publish the image anywhere (let alone keep it for his private use).

I know that in a broader philosophical context these are interesting and really worthwhile questions, and I enjoy thinking about them. How much of my own photography, for instance, is exploitative in the sense that the subjects would be upset if they saw their image here? But there are degrees of voyeurism and probably corresponding degrees of outrage, and I'm pretty sure that nothing I've got here could provoke the fury that the I-Spy galleries could.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:15 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: voyeurism

You are quite right (BTW, this I spy was not very good photography, IMO, looked like the guy knew he was doing something "wrong" and shot as furtively as possible.

I was talking about voyeurism as simply looking intently at others, unaware we are doing it. not really titillating type of peeping. I think photography can definitely take us beyond that, by adding "seeing" or "seeing thru" expressed with a lens, to the simple act of looking . Still, from the POV of the other, the debate will always be on-going.