New Alex Webb book - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 02:28 AM
TE Senior Member

Default New Alex Webb book

I just got the new Alex Webb book, "Istanbul: City of a Hundred names." it has writing from Turkish writer Ohran Pamuk as well. The book is excellent, great work inside with some wonderfully layered photography, good colors (duh, it's Webb) and the printing quality is great as well. Certainly worth checking out.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: New Alex Webb book

I saw parts of it. Would you not say Webb is going over the same ground? Better question yet, how much evolution does the latest book show from Webb? Id say not much and that may be a problem. certainly taken apart from the rest of his work its a good book, but within the context of his career, Id say its repetitive. Sure, Webb is onto something good. But should he move on and try something different?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM
TE Senior Member

I think this work was different enough. It seemed like he layered information a lot more than in other books, in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:04 AM
TE Expert

Hi Narayan, how are you buddy? Yeah, the only pictures from it I've seen are the rather poor selection on the MAGNUM site. From what you're saying I guess one shouldn't judge the book from the few rather badly selected pics online. i did think though that these Turkish shots were a departure from him. I also thought (rather conservatively) that he didn't feel as comfortable away from his beloved tropical, highly saturated, deep-shadowed locales...;o)
Old 07-23-2007, 05:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Francis. things are going well, I trust you are well. I agree, it is a departure from his other books, such as "Hot Light/Half Made worlds" or "Crossings" (both of which are superb)... but such a departure isn't always bad. Those other books, though, become to look similar, both in color and composition. This departure is a bit fresh, in my opinion.