To mkamionka: Travelling to another continent - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2020-06-06 8:27

Hi Paul,
it is rare that you show same structure in three separate uploads. But I agree this one deserves more attention. I will try to remember this place for the future visit to Thailand if ever. Some people including yourself compare prices of hotels to the expensive European prices but of course one has to add flight tickets, which may then make a substantial chunk of the price and even prohibitive for me when I would like to pay for three tickets and I could not go off the season.
Great scene here, the ladies wearing traditional and colorful clothes again. They make a nice foreground for the impressive structure behind,
M

Old 06-06-2020, 07:22 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Travelling to another continent

Thank you Mariusz,

I think you’re referring to my comment on the prices in the Lake District. These may be among the highest prices in the UK.
But what I've heard from other travellers is that overnight stays in the UK are among the most expensive in Europe.
On the world map of the countries I visited on TE you will see that I only have one photo of the UK and that one was taken in Gibraltar J

In addition, I was in Gibraltar only during the day. My overnight stay was in La Linea, Spain J

You wrote that the cheapest B&Bs in the Lake District costs 200 £ a night.
Converted into euros that is 224 euros. Frankly, I think that is a phenomenal amount.

No idea if that is for one, two or three people. Probably for the room which means that someone travelling alone in the UK has a very expensive journey there.

Of course a journey to another continent costs something. A family with children must have an airplane ticket for each passenger, which makes the trip more expensive. That while usually only two people per family earn money.

During my entire working life, me too, I could only travel in high season (with the exception of perhaps an extended weekend). I also always had the most expensive prices, but did a lot of work studying websites and looking for the best prices.
Now that I have retired, I can travel in other seasons.
But some destinations in the world always have good deals, for example, Bangkok.

Before I started my big Asia trip, I only bought the following plane tickets:
Brussels-Bangkok, Bangkok-Kathmandu, Kathmandu-Bangkok and Bangkok-Brussels.
These four flights were done with the same airline and the total price was exactly the price for 4,4 nights in one of those cheapest B & Bs in the Lake District J

You can imagine how tempting a long journey then becomes.

As said, my journey of four and a half months through Asia has obviously cost me something.
But I was away during the entire Belgian winter, which saved me all the heating, lighting and water at Belgian prices.
When I returned home I was shocked by the prices for food in a Belgian supermarket.
For those prices I could eat in the restaurants in the different countries (not in the fancy places but neither in the very cheapest eateries).

Of course, there are destinations in Europe that are quite affordable.
But a trip to the UK will most likely always remain an idea and not become a reality.

In any case, first wait and see what the world will look like after the corona crisis.

All the best!
Paul