To jinju: right - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

jinju 2006-04-18 1:53

Um, I would bet that this is a photo of a miniature. Nothing wrong with that. Im just having serious problems believing you get this sort of focus from a shot high above the city.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To jinju: right

It does look like a miniature, doesn't it? From the area that is in focus... there is a lack of detials, like pedestrians and cars.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:38 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To jinju: right

yes it does. The kind of focus will not form over long distances. Even at f/1.0. The reason is that things have to have a distance between them. At large aperatures you get shallow DOF. The larger the separation the more pronounced the blur. Say you shoot at f/1.4, which is a very large aperature and you have two people. One face you focus on. Now, if the first face is very close to the second, there will be very little blur. If the other face is further back, there will be much more. Why? BEcause there is a shallow depth of field. A sort of fog forms because there isnt any focus on anything BUT the thing you focus on. Easy, right? Now look at this. This just wouldnt happen. I can go right now outside, shoot with the largest aperature I have and if I shoot a landscape, I wont get any real noticeable blur. I will if I have something I can focus on thats close. THEN I will get a strong blur. Here, that just wouldnt happen. At this distance all those buildings are pretty much equidistant from the lens. This IS a miniature or the blur was created in photoshop.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To jinju: right

Hi Jinju. I can't guarantee that it hasn't been done in PS, but the effect is possible IF you either tilt the lens or film plane relative to each other. Lenses focus on a plane, normally where the film is, or now, where the ccd is. No matter what f stop you use, that focal point is very fixed. If you tilt the lens relative to the film plane, then that focal point moves with it. This causes the effect you see in geowinds picture. I tried to draw it, I wonder if it makes sense or not. Check the <a href = "http://www.trekearth.com/workshops/102250/photo58668.htm">diagram here</a>.