Help with video camera - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Help with video camera

Hi Friends,

For the last many years I am using Sony handycam that uses a cassette and I bought it in India way back in 2001 when it was launched. The picture quality is amazing but storage and upkeep of so many cassette is pain.
Now I want to buy a new video camera. I am already using a Canon 400D for my still, so I don't require anything for still photography as of now. The problem and confusion is not as to which brand to buy, but is with the fact that what kind of camera to buy.

Since I have used one with a cassette with amazing picture quality, I'd really appreciate if you could understand my point of view and compare the new recommendations with sony handycam.

There is one available in the market with cassette Sony, Canon or any other
Then there are DVD recording ones with picture quality of 1 MP
Other are with hard disc drive
and Now canon has one with flash memory with 1.07 MP and 45X optical zoom
The another one about to be launched are Canon legaria series HF S10 OR HF S100 with 8MP and 10x zoom.

My confusion is about the picture quality.
I am ready to spend reasonable money but I don't wana compromise on video picture quality which is extremely important to me as I don't want to lose of real life colors and pictures of cassette camera. But I am tempted with new technology of flash memory and even HD 8MP camera by canon with 10x zoom

1. What is the picture quality of video in flash memory camera in comparison to one with cassette that I am using.

2. Flash memory with 1.07 MP offers 45X zoom optical zoom. Is it good enough?

3. Does mega pixle play any role in the quality of video recording and display on TV or computer? I will never take still pictures of print with my video camera.

4. Does it make sense to buy 8MP , high definition camera with just 10x optical zoom.

All these are difficult questions for me and perhaps may sound very idiotic to many of you. But I'd really appreciate f someone answers in detail.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Regards,

Hemant