To holmertz: Qanats - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-02-14 6:22

Hello Malgo,
You used the trees and the pool well to frame the view of the terrace where a few persons are having tea or something. There is a similar image showing the other direction. The most beautiful photo is the one of the decorated traditional gate.
Every time someone shows a hotel here I check it up on the internet, just out of curiosity. This one gets very mixed reviews, from "nice and comfortable" to "dirty and noisy".
Best regards,
Gert

Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM
TE Expert

Smile To holmertz: Qanats

Hello Gert, I have read these opinions. When we were there, we were the only guests (on the main photo our group has breakfast), so there was no noise , it was clean and the rooms were big and comfortable.
Qanats are the underground canals listed in Unesco (https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1506/ ) and it is possible to go underground to see it in this hotel. So maybe sometimes the groups of tourists come to see it and then it is noisy.
I very rarely show the hotel/hostel in which I am staying, it was a historical place and I found it interesting.
Kind regrads MAlgo
Old 02-14-2020, 03:41 PM
TE Expert

Hello Malgo,
Such qanats had a long tradition also in Afghanistan and had been the basis for agriculture for hundreds of years. Most of them were destroyed during the recent wars, mainly by Soviet bombings, and most of those who knew how to repair them and keep them intact were either killed or fled the country. The destruction of the qanats were a reason why a large part of the country was made into a desert.
Have a nice evening,
Gert