To holmertz: Ubud - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-03-23 2:53

Hello Malgo,
There are some peculiar sculptures here, and the trees could provide some well needed shade, but personally I don't care much for gardens like these. But the sculptures, trees and the path give the photo quite nice depth.
But regarding the note I had to check up whatever Julia Roberts did in Ubud, because I had never heard of it. She was in one movie partly filmed in Ubud, so I think that town does not quite earn its fame from her. ;-) (I thought Ubud was terrible already in 1976).
Best regards,
Gert

Old 03-23-2020, 10:56 AM
TE Expert

Talking To holmertz: Ubud

Hi Gert,

Well, you do not like any gardens. I have read about it already quite many times.
Maybe you haven't heard about this film, but Ubud’s main claim to fame (since 2010) is that Julia Roberts' movies Eat, Pray, Love was partially set there, and it has since become a bit of a pilgrimage for middle aged women (not me ). Anyway, I saw the movie twice and knew it.
But why you thought that Ubud was terrible? It has main street lined with nice cafes, restaurants, beautiful temples and interesting markets. The local people are very friendly and smiling. And the lush vegetation everywhere (but you are immune to it). It is (anyway when I was there) much less touristy than Porto, Lviv, Prague, Tallinn, Warsaw , Turkish or Indian towns and other popular places around the world. And the food was also delicious and cheap there.
Sunny but cold (minus three deg) in Warsaw..

Regards MAlgo
Old 03-23-2020, 11:55 AM
TE Expert

Hello Malgo,
Ubud is of course a very pretty town, which is why it has become so popular with tourists. But big cities can usually swallow large crowds of tourists better than small places. In most big cities 90% of the visitors gather in very small areas, so it's always possible to find more "normal" areas (like Kazimiers, not far from Kraków's old centre). When I was in Ubud there were thousands of tourists who had come to watch the cremation of an important chief. It was chaotic and awful and no respect shown to the deceased chief's family. There was nowhere else to go so I left before the ceremony started.

Gert