To holmertz: Touristy or not - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-03-29 7:59

Hello Malgo,
It's a nice view and a well taken photo, but (now you will get angry) it doesn't look so very impressive, compared with many other paddy fields on terraces I have seen in photos. Maybe they looked larger and wider from other angles. But since it's so close to Ubud this is where all the tourists go. According to a story I found on the net it is extremely touristy, with entrance fees, soft drink shops and people who will pose for photos. But I find it interesting for showing how every available area of land is used for agriculture, every slope is turned into terraces. The hard work behind this view is really impressive.
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 03-29-2020, 03:37 PM
TE Expert

Question To holmertz: Touristy or not

Hi Gert, I wrote that when we were there, there were almost no tourists. When we walked down there and then again up, we didn't meet anyone - only people working there. Do you see here the tourists taking selfies? But you do not believe me and know better from the net.
We saw also other paddy fields and they looked different - here they were in the very narrow valley and I found it attractive. Later we saw more spacious. All were impressive for me. When I saw these Balinese fields, I thought - I would see bigger and more attractive paddy fields in the Philippines. Only a few days later I realized that it wouldn't be possible.
Kind regrads

Malgo
Old 03-29-2020, 04:26 PM
TE Expert

I knew you would get angry. I told you so.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:36 PM
TE Expert

If you knew it, so why you wrote like this?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:46 PM
TE Expert

Because it really didn't look so very impressive. So I looked it up on the net, found lots of sites mentioning it as the place where everyone goes because it so close to Ubud (the Hoi An of Indonesia), and someone mentioning ticket sales etc. It sounded like it had become some kind of Disneyland.
I am sorry you are so sensitive.
Gert