Am I on TE or TL?! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
TE Expert

Default Am I on TE or TL?!

I don't know what is happening with the posts, but the last months when I'm viewing the gallery of TE I get the feeling that i'm on the wrong site! Why? Because the PP is getting so heavy on so many posts that the reality go's completly lost and it seems more a post for TL!

What do you think about it?
Going back to the gallery to enjoy the great posts.
Greets
KIks
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Am I on TE or TL?!

I agree, and am disappointed in the moderators in some of their decisions.

Oh well, live and let live I guess?

~V~
Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Default How far is too far?

LOL, when I read the title I thought you meant you were actually confused as to which site you were on for minute ;)

In all seriousness though, where do you personally draw the line? Where should TE draw the line? Is HDR acceptable? Currently the answer is yes. Should it be? I think so, yes, but it's a qualified yes.

Once you say yes, you end up mired in the debate as to which HDR shots are acceptable. My general view is if there's visible haloeing, then it's probably gone too far.

But which of my Flickr HDR set would any of you personally allow on TE?
Take a look at my HDR set here. How many of those would you wish to see posted here? I think maybe four of those are acceptable for TE, the rest are more TL material; but I'd be very interested to see what everyone else thinks!

In reality as it's a judgement call it's a difficult decision for the moderators to make. If it's in the grey area then they really can't win. If they delete a shot, they'll get complaints. If they leave a shot, they'll get complaints. So the question is how far is too far?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM

Default Re: How far is too far?

On HDR, my feeling is that if it screams "HDR" then it should be on TL not here. One of the rules here is supposed to be minimal manipulation. Subtle HDR is no more obvious than holding back or burning in areas, whereas some HDR makes images appear totally unrealistic, to me at least.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
TE Senior Member

KIks,
I've always received the odd critique "this photo should be on TL" - more because of subject matter than PP. I've given TL a little go, but find that I can often (un)happily flick through pages and pages of photos on TL without finding anything for which I've got a positive comment. Probably, because literally "anything goes" on TL the quality is generally lower, and simply finding something which interests me is harder. I think TE has it about right. If it don't like a shot, or what's been done to it, I generally just ignore it.
Ultimately, I think we're lucky to have such a lot of great photos on this site.
Regards
Colin
Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: How far is too far?

I can see any problem with your HDRs. They are all good photos for TE, no matter what technique applied. There is nothing abstract but simple pictures showing cityscapes and landscapes.
Antonio
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 AM
TE Expert

I'm quite surprised to see this thread as most people normally complain about their images being removed- not normally non-offending members complaining that not enough shots are being removed.
For the people who think the admin/ mods are doing a bad job- let me ask you; 'Have you reported the images which you think are over-processed'?
I'm a firm believer that as members on TrekEarth it is just as much our responsibility as it is the admin/ moderators.

- Dan
Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 AM
TE Junior Member

Dan-

I have reported images when I feel they are over processed, or not TE appropriate. Sometimes their removed, and sometimes not.

As to HDR and other post production...

As far as how much is too much, I think as long as it doesn't look unnatural, it should be allowed. Most of my posts are altered quite a bit. Mostly adjustments in tone, contrast, and vignetting. Sometimes, I even use different tools in CS2 to remove unwanted items. Is this strictly forbidden in TOS? Yes, but who knows I've done it without telling anyone?

It really is no different that Ansel Adams or Edward Weston going to extremes in the darkroom to perfect a print. Has anyone seen a straight print of "Moon Over Hernandez", or "Half Dome in Winter"? They are nicely composed, very boring prints. It was the darkroom majesty of these two artists that have given them the fame they so rightly deserve.

CS2 and it's brethren of softwares are the tools of today's modern photography world. However, it needs to be a tool, not a crutch.

Just my two cents worth...

~Vic~
Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 AM
TE Expert

Fair enough- I should not have assumed Vic. I've had conversations in the past with people on the Forums who complain about the moderators/ administrators- yet the suggestion of them reporting pictures which they think violate the TOS, puts them into 'defensive mode'.
Clearly that is not the case with you- I appologise for assuming....

I fully agree with you. The key to PP work is that it should NOT be noticeable, essentially invisible. No halo's, no pixelation, etc etc etc. So many people try to cover their lack of photography skills with their Photoshop skills- and it is just SOOOO the wrong way to go about it.
If a photo is crap- it doesn't matter how many nice pinstripes or drop shadows you add to it- the photo is still crap. :-)

I see now Vic- you and I are on the same page...
All the best,
- Dan
Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 AM
TE Junior Member

No assumption assumed Dan. Does that last sentence make sense? :-)

To illustrate my point, I've uploaded a RAW processed image as a Work Shop to it's original post. You can find the original post here. I believe post production is necessary on all images to bring out the best, and to be able to let the artist produce what he/she was originally. But if it is taken to a level of becoming fine art instead of journalistic photography, TL is the place for it to be.

No apologies necessary Dan, and keep posting from Singapore.

~Vic~