Pinhole photography - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default Pinhole photography

Has anyone tried this? I like the idea of the simplicity,soft focus and infinite dof, no lens nothing between the sensor and the image..any advice comments appreciated. seems a more pure way of taking photos.. have been toying with the idea for some time now..comments advice welcome
Trev.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Pinhole photography

Not long ago there was an article on BBC about a man in India that still makes portraits with the camera . . . ready in a few minutes :)
So I looked it up and I found this;
http://www.pinholeday.org/gallery/

I don't have the time to start . . . but I agree . . . it looks very interesting :)

What I was thinking about if it is possible to make a pinhole camera in combination with the digital one. . . just a thought.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Actually it is very easy and cheap to make a pinhole lens for a digital camera. Take a body cap and smooth down both sides in the middle. Next, drill a small hole (1/4" +/-) right in the middle. Next, take a very thin piece of metal (NOT FOIL), and poke a needle size hole in it. Carefully glue the piece of metal to the inside of the body cap. Make sure none of the glue ends up in the hole. Then, once dried, simply put in on your camera, and experiment until you find the correct settings. Most pinhole cameras end up around f/90 or so. Anything less usually isn't sharp.

Also, it helps sometimes to spray paint both sides of the metal a flat black. Again, make sure none of the paint gets in the hole. Painting it first is a god idea.

Good luck!

~V~
Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Default pinhole digital

Vic,

Thanks . . . I think I'll even have time for that :))
. . . question now is where to post it? . . . TE or TL . . . I guess TE would be OK . . . no post-processing :)
. . . one small change though . . . I guess you mean f/9.0?

have a nice weekend
Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: pinhole digital

David-

Nope, I really mean f/90. Think about it, if the hole is only the size of a needle, the aperture is extremely small. Take a look at your lenses, and see what f/45 looks like, if you have one the goes that small. If not, look at f/32. Now image how small a pinhole is.

I think you could post here on TE. After all, there wouldn't be too much post production. As long as it stays within the TE terms, I don't see why it couldn't be posted here.

What do you think Moderators? I'm assuming you're keeping tabs on posts. Would this violate any TE terms?

Thanks!

~V~
Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
TE Junior Member

check this:

subjektiv.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 AM
TE Junior Member

Here's an interesting site for pinhole photography. Imagine, a six-month exposure!

http://www.pinholephotography.org