New Member Instructions or rules - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM
TE Newbie

Default New Member Instructions or rules

Good afternoon everybody,

I have just joined what looks at first sight to be a very useful community. HOWEVER on glancing at a couple of the threads in the general announcements section I saw in one "Notes of a minimum of 40 characters etc..." and in another "The maximum size must be 800px..." and in addition I couldn't see where to change or add to my profile. So I looked for a "New Members Please Start Here" page which would have all the rules like the examples I found by accident above (not the TOS which is different) and I concluded that it didn't exist.

So can you post or add a page like that?

Another question: I would have thought that the Caribbean was one of the most popular places on Earth and it isn't listed! Any reason why?

Tell me the rules and I'll get uploading photos with notes.

Henry
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 PM
TE Expert

Good morning
The TOS and the FAQ is visible down at the bottom of all TE pages
http://fr.trekearth.com/about.php

If you take the patience to search this site you will find that the photos are categorized by country.
You'll find different islands of the Caribbean in their respective countries
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...er/Guadeloupe/

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...erlands/Other/

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Central_America/Cuba/

Etceatera

Help yourself

Last edited by Didi; 10-07-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 PM
TE Newbie

Default Instructions and the Caribbean

Good morning Didi and thank you for your response.

Although I am a “Newbie” to TrekEarth and I hope soon a contributor, I am not a Newbie to Computers having been involved in programming since 1983. One basic lesson was making your program and now website, idiot proof. So if it said “Press any key” then suppress the “stop” button!

When I arrive on a website that has obvious power such as “TrekEarth” I am therefore surprised to see some, shall we say, omissions. There are also some basic conventions that are not always applied. Example: “About” (usually found under the “Help” Icon) never has a FAQ attached (look at how “Firefox”, “MS Word”, “iTunes” or “Photoshop” use “About” And as well the FAQ in “About” is not the same as the Forum FAQ! So I find the first (you showed me) and think it’s the only one until I see another FAQ in the Forum section. The “About” page is not a place I would have chosen.

Most websites will put a link directly to a FAQ or in support.

I would therefore suggest somewhere a link to a page:-

New to TrekEarth?

When uploading your photos please ensure:

Maximum size A x B
Compression level maximum 300kb
For Panoramas ratio 2.5:1 Long side between 800 and 4000pixels
Limit of 1 photo per day
Plus 2 Workshop uploads
Note must be attached and must be 40 characters long. Please no “mzqaehfaha” or similar rubbish to pad your note.
See the FAQ in our very useful Forum for more details.

And anything else that may be pertinent.

As for the Caribbean, it is pedantic and confusing to put some Islands in Europe (St Martin) others in Central America (Barbados) and (Saint Lucia). And it also seems a bit funny to look for Tahiti (whilst correctly placed in French Polynesia) in Europe as well!

You are talking administrations but ask most people on what continent is St Barthelemy or Saba and they would say The Caribbean or Central America, few would say Europe. In fact the correct answer is North America and the Caribbean; including St Martin (FR/NL), Saba (NL), St Barthelemy (FR), Haiti (IND), St Kitts and Nevis (IND), should be in a sub section of that.

For many years I thought that Tahiti was independent and never considered St Barthelemy to be in the EEC! But I did know and I was correct that one was in the Pacific and the other in the Caribbean. Why? Because I and millions of others think of places physically not administratively.

The Caribbean is one of the most popular tourist spots in the world. It even merits being a “place” on its own.

Sincerely,

Henry Barnett
Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
TE Expert

Well the best way ist to write to the TE admins or suggest your request in the Forum feedback and support.
For me I dont' see any problems since I am here from more 7 years.

http://fr.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Cheers
Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 PM
TE Newbie

I will certainly email the admin!

After seven years I'd expect to understand perfectly how it works! Let's hope I stay as long!

All the best,

Henry
Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
TE Newbie

Two funny things happened.

An advert appeared on the top banner and was for Caribbean Cruises. According to this website the Caribbean does not exist!

I post a photo taken in the Caribbean and I have to say it's is in France!

Sorry but there is something wrong here.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
TE Senior Member

Cool Nothing wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybarnett View Post
Two funny things happened.

An advert appeared on the top banner and was for Caribbean Cruises. According to this website the Caribbean does not exist!

I post a photo taken in the Caribbean and I have to say it's is in France!

Sorry but there is something wrong here.
No, there's nothing wrong. The banner on top has nothing to do with TrekEarth as such. Well, not more than this banner (and others on the site) is what is making the income for the owners and so far is keeping this a free-to-join site.

These advertisements are coming through Google and are mostly related to what you upload or write or in any other way create cookies. For example is "my" banner right now mentioning "Björn Borg Swedish exports".

Concerning Caribbean it's mentioned as a separate region in a popular way, but strictly geographical it's not. As Didi mentioned some parts are governed by "foreign" states others are independent states.

So this is what this site is about, learning about the world through photography.

Best regards,
Kaj
Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Kajenn,

Actually when I said there is something wrong, I was being sarcastic! What I meant, reading between my lines, was that the Caribbean is probably one of the most popular destinations in the world. Example I believe that for Air France (one of the world's largest Airlines) the Paris - St Martin/Guadeloupe/Martinique is their busiest route. I know why the adverts come up but if someone saw the one I saw, which is costing that company money, it seems funny that the place Caribbean for TrekEarth, does not exist!

I quote you "Concerning Caribbean, it's mentioned as a separate region in a popular way, but strictly geographical it's not."

I think with respect you are wrong there. Firstly the Caribbean is NOT mentioned (by TrekEarth) and secondly it IS a geographical region.

TrekEarth deals with it, and other places according to a places legal administration, so St Martin is France.

I am not saying that this is wrong but it leads to confusion when you have:

Europe/ France / Others / St Martin - Caribbean
Europe/ France / Others / Tahiti - South Pacific
North America / United States / Others / San Juan - Caribbean
Central America / St Kitts - Caribbean

So someone searching for: Anguilla or Saba or St Eustache might be forgiven for not finding any of them. The first in English the other two Dutch.

This is all further confused because the TrekEarth search engine cannot see that these are all the same."Saints" "Sint" "San" and "St" to mention a few. Put a hypen in it may or not work. You have Saint-Barthelemy and Saint Martin. One with one without.

It's all very unsatisfactory.

Henry
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 AM
TE Senior Member

Cool Okey...?

Sorry, I was just trying to help. So continue your mission...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 AM
TE Newbie

Default Caribbean

Hi Kajenn,

No need to apologise, at all. I just think that TE are very wrong in ignoring the Caribbean!

(And their search engine takes no prisoners!)

The Caribbean exists: This is the Wikipedia entry - The Caribbean is a region consisting of the Caribbean Sea, its islands (most of which enclose the sea), and the surrounding coasts. The region is located south-east of the Gulf of Mexico and North America, east of Central America, and to the north of South America.

Situated largely on the Caribbean Plate, the region comprises more than 7,000 islands, islets, reefs, and cays." etc. etc.

In fact there are 14 nations that administer some 50 of these islands plus there are 12 Islands that are Independent. They are listed by TE as being part of Europe, North America, South American and Central America. Europe also includes Islands in the Pacific!

I defy anyone to be so knowledgeable as to be able to say who administers or not any given Island. So why not add "Caribbean" as a region?

That's all and thanks for the interest.

Henry

Last edited by henrybarnett; 10-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Tags
caribbean, st barts