Adam: A boon... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-12-2004, 07:53 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Adam: A boon...

Would you please modify the "Uncritiqued" screen so that it selects on the lack of critiques rather than the lack of points?

----

Also, making any progress on 'Groups'?
Old 06-13-2004, 06:18 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Adam: A boon...

"Would you please modify the "Uncritiqued" screen so that it selects on the lack of critiques rather than the lack of points?"

OK, I'll try to fix that inconsistency.

"Also, making any progress on 'Groups'?"

That's the next big feature I plan on adding over the summer. I'm thinking of having a group like a member, such that the group itself will have Intro, Photos, Critiques, Discussions etc. pages, just like individual members do.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Adam: A boon...

I'm not sure what the plan is for a "Group" but I was thinking of two types of interesting groups:

1- Critique circles
2- Local groups (that might be able to actually meet, perhaps shooting together).
Old 06-23-2004, 08:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Critique Circles!!!!!

Boy! That's what I'm interested in.

A small(ish) group of people who work with each other to improve each other's shooting and editing.

(Like TE in the 'good old days'. ;o)
Old 06-24-2004, 08:58 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Adam: Bob's suggestion

If I may, Bob, let me just reproduce this sentence, taken from your intro : "I'm using this list to help me find the postings of people who have been kind enough to give me useful feedback on my work, and those people who have found value in the comments that I have made about their work"
To my point of view, this is exactly what defines a group of members based on critics, where points is not the issue, but only exchanging positive feedback (no praising, but useful critics) on a photo, to help each other to progress. I'm 100% for it, Bob.
Regards
Old 06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Favourites versus groups

I'm kind of confused - if we select the favourites of those who send and receive critiques with us, an idea that I got from Bob's intro and implimented myself, then what is the need for groups? I like the idea that I can select my own group of favourites, and they can select me if they want to or not too. Can you all explain the idea of groups further?
Old 06-29-2004, 05:24 PM
TE Junior Member

A critque circle group would be a small group that would agree to critique each persons picture in the group so we could help and see each others photographic skill (hopefully) increase.

The other idea I was thinking of a group would be to be able to group people interested in doing things and covering events together. I've seen photographers walking around where I am and then see images up on this site and I wonder, 'is that someone taking a picture for TE?' Maybe they wonder the same about me.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:25 PM
TE Junior Member

I think it's a great idea too. I'm just confused because it looks to me like with the "favorites" setting, and the ability to write each other through forums, critiques and "contact me" links in the info page - that we already have groups, of a sort. I admit that it would be neat to be able to find everyone who actually lives in our area; when I first joined, I was excited to get a e-mail from someone who actually lives near me, asking if I knew anyone else in our area. We neither one did, but we also didn't need a group to get in touch with each other. So, my question is, why do we also need a groups ability, when the ability to seek out and find others like ourselves is already present? I have met several people with whom I write and critique when I can, and I'm always open to adding more friends who are willing to put up with a rank ameteur to do so. :o)

Not trying to be rude, just wondering what the difference would be. Especially from Bob, since he is the one who keeps wanting Adam to do this thing, but he is also the one who has set the standard by announcing to us all how to really make the "favorites" function work.

Michelle, aka digi-mom
Old 06-29-2004, 07:43 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Groups...

I think that there are some other types of 'groups' that people want. Maybe Adam can fill us in here. Perhaps there are people who would like to concentrate on wildflowers of the world or urban skateboarding, whatever.

Here's my idea of a group to which I would like to belong.

First it would be limited in number so that one could reasonably see all the pictures posted by members of the group without spending hours on the site. A rough rule of thumb would be that in general there would be no more than one page of thumbnails per day. Checking in every other day would mean that one could catch up with the group by looking at two pages (~36) pictures.

That way one could stay current with what fellow members were doing. One could give some sort of feedback on almost every picture. People wouldn't get lost in the crowd.

Second the particular group to which I would wish to belong would be people who were interested in improving the technical aspects of their work. (Some people aren't, and that's just fine. They can belong to another group, or none at all.) I'd like to put up a shot and have a number of people look at it with a critical eye and tell me what works and what doesn't.

I've learned a tremendous amount on this site and would like to learn more. But as the site has grown one's pictures tend to move quickly off the front page and just aren't seen. My last two posts got one critique each. (More like one got a critique, one got a comment.)

I've pretty much lost interest in posting because I'm not learning.

I critique from time to time but I get little feedback on my critiques. I'd like feedback, not so much from the photographer, but from other members. When the site was much smaller we tended to know each other and gave each other critique feedback.

I've used the 'Favorites' to attempt to solve the problem, but it's had only limited success.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Groups...

My solution to "hours": 1st - my critiques page, I try to respond to everyone who critiqued mine. 2nd - my info page, check the photos of my favorites and try to respond there. 3rd - the hunt page (since these people are pretty involved). I don't do it everyday. Some days I can't got to TE. Some days I have so much time that I go exploring and comment on some eye-catchers or good ones w/o points. Sure it excludes people, and I only catch newbies if occasionally, but I think that would happen to people who get all involved in groups too. This is my "groups". I don't have to click on the macros of flowers and bugs if I don't want to - even if they are by one of my favorites, right?

Saying that I "can" give feedback to just a few fellow memebers on almost every picture doesn't mean that I will. That happens now, and I think would happen in groups too, unless you mandate that people "have to" give X number of critiques a day to everyone in their group, and I am pretty sure I remember reading why mandating critiques was not a good idea in another thread long ago.

Some people in my favorites list aren't as keen on improving their technical aspects, some times they are. So sometimes they might stop hearing so much from me, until I see that they seem to be helping me or others. So I've cut people who weren't involved in the learning from my favorites list. :o(

"I'd like to put up a shot and have a number of people look at it with a critical eye and tell me what works and what doesn't. " Me too!! I'm going to add you to my list. I don't post everyday, but I promise that if you're committed to this, then I will be too. And I will make it a point that on the days I get to TE, I will definitely share my comments/critiques with you at least. Part of this TE thing to me has been the seeking out and finding. A few of my friends that I met here have stopped posting, and I hang on to their names in my list in case they ever come back. It also looks good for them to have another name on their info page, I think. :o)

It's a process to me, Bob. I do see how sticking all the macro folks together and the B&W's might be a good idea, so they don't have to really seek each other out, but I think most folks do a pretty good variety of stuff - will they be able to post photos and get a response if they don't fit into their "group" one day?

To me, as difficult as it is sometimes, I like it the way it is. Cliques are just so "ex-clusive". And I'm really sorry, but honestly that's why I sometimes over look the popular photos - because they seem to have such a big "group" already. BUT I am so grateful when someone accidentally stumbles across something I've done, even though I'm not in their "group", and comment on it, because it means the world to be noticed by someone outside of my own little cirlce of friends.