Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-02-2004, 04:54 AM
TE Newbie

Default Nikon D70 vs Canon Rebel EOS 300D

Hello all,

I am planning to upgrade my digital camera. I have narrowed it down to 2 cameras, the upcoming Nikon D70 or Canon EOS 300D.

Feature by feature comparison by www.dpreview.com puts Nikon D70 ahead of Canon. But I have heard that Canon reputation is better than that of Nikon

So I want to ask this question to all you professionals, which one I should choose?

And how about the array of lenses to choose from, canon lenses or nikon's?

My subjects of interes are landscape, architecture, low-light

Thanks alot
Old 02-02-2004, 06:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Nikon D70 vs Canon Rebel EOS 300D

This is a hard question to answer, Andre. Canon and Nikon is neck and neck as technology goes with Canon has the slight edge on the image sensor technology. If you already had some investment with either manufacturer then I would recommend you to stick with the same one. If you are brand new to the SLR area and you absolutely need mirror lockup; Nikon is your best bet else go for Canon.

Nikon has more lenses in absolute number but if you start throwing out all the versions that works with all the features with the D70 then the choice will be much less. So I would say Canon has the edge on lense. One other thing, Canon consumer lense is also a bit cheaper than the Nikon counterpart. Although, the DX lense lines specially mafe for the Digital SLR may change that somewhat.

If you are in landscape and used to have huge wide angle shot then both of them will change your perception. Due to the smaller sensor, they are great for telephoto (multipler of 1.5 or 1.6) but nasty for wide angle. However, Canon has the unique tilt lenses that are great for architectural.

I hope this does clarify things a bit for you,
Thien
Old 02-02-2004, 07:32 AM

I suggest you wait until there are actually "final" D70s out there - although it looks good on paper there's always a chance that the reality will not be as good as the spec suggests.

I'm very happy with my EOS10D (which uses the same sensor as the 300D)
Old 02-02-2004, 09:03 AM
TE Senior Member

And consider that with Nikon lenses you also have the option of Fuji and Kodak bodies. The Fuji S2 was the choice of many for the best dSLR among the 10D/D100/S2 choices.

And the Kodak 14n wasn't a great camera at higher ISOs but it was a full frame camera for about half of what the 1Ds cost. The next version of the 14n should hit the street in the next week or two.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:59 PM
TE Newbie

Hi there!

This article seems to be a good comparison of specs, and might help you to decide. It compares the Nikon D70 with the Nikon D100 and the Canon EOS-300D.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/

For what it's worth, I own a D100 and I am extrememly happy with it. However, I would also have bought the Canon 10D, if it wasn't for the fact that I was able to get the Nikon for a good price from a friend who bought it overseas. It really is difficult to decide between the two makes!

Henry
Old 02-02-2004, 05:36 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks a lot guys,

Good news: I have 4-6 weeks to think about this before the Nikon shows up, so I have time to think about it.
Bad news: There is another camera that also catches my attention, the upcoming Nikon Coolpix 8700. 35-280 mm, 8 megapixel.

So now it's a 3 ways race, *sigh*