Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-04-2004, 04:44 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Does this place remind anyone of www.photoSIG.com?

I was a member of photosig before I found TrekEarth. I didn't learn from photosig as workshops were not an option. I have learned to postprocess my photos and grow from this website, even though I still do not have the nerve to critique, I do it the workshop way. I love TrekEarth!!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 04:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Trekearth, the kinder, gentler Photosig! :-).

First there was Photo.net, with an absent creator-god, ruled by a whimsical set of elves, and terrorised by trolls. Eventually Photonet imploded in a great civil war, and the dissafected of Networld made the Great Trek to Photosig. Photosig was ok - the trolls were still there, and there was much envy and spite, but somehow that could all could be ignored if you chose. Yet Photosig also came to an end, although, unlike Photonet, in this case the Gods themselves destroyed their own creation. And the surviving Siggers went forth again, and most of them ended up on Planet Photopoints, where they live happily to this very day. And Trekearth? The very existence of Trekearth is a closely guarded secret. Let it stay that way.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:25 PM

You're a great story teller Philip!
I love faery tales with a happily-ever-after-ending... So watch out for the trolls! ;o) And "Let it stay that way".

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 02-04-2004, 06:59 PM
TE Newbie

Great story Phil!

Yes, and they still swap points in little cliques at PhotoPpoints as they did at the other sites. Shhh! Don't tell them about TE, or they'll surely drag it down with them also.

Photo.net is like a shooting gallery; once you get too highly rated, it's open season on your best images. And some of those clowns have more accounts and names to torpedo you with than they have images to share.

PhotoSig was a constant bitch fight/battle zone, with members and administrators attacking like rabid pit bulls.

Besides, none of those sites places as much emphasis or value on travel images. Photo.net doesn't even have a travel category!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:06 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Can we learn anything from history?

I really don't know much about posting sites such as Photo.net/Photosig. I have heard rumors of the wars but don't know the reasons.

Looking back at theses sites, how they are designed and how their histories have unfolded, is there something that we can learn from their troubles? Can we find clues for taking evasive action?

What's the saying - "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: www.photoSIG.? Heaven forbid!

I will be a little bit contrary here. I still like photoSIG and have benefitted greatly from it. I still participate there, although nowadays, TE is my first stop. The cliques, backslappers, pointtraders, et al certainly are a pain there, as they are at photopoints. Sadly, I think that is largely human nature. To be honest, I find photopoints to be much worse than photoSIG ever was. Not to be too cynical, but on photopoints their clubbers dedicate photos to each other, act as though they are closer to the other clubbers than they are to their own families and generally act so artificial and so sweet I am affraid of getting diabetes simply from surfing the site.

To photoSIG's credit, I really do believe they made a true effort to reduce backslapping, clubs, etc when they changed to V2. Unfortunately for SIG, by doing so, they seemed to introduce too many restrictions and rules, the place didn't seem so fun anymore.
The only ones who were able to quickly figure out the rules (and how to bend them) were the clubbers. I do have to give them (photoSIG administrators) credit for trying. The quality of photography used to be very high on photoSIG (it has dropped IMO). No offense to the people here, but the average level of photo submitted used to be and to a lesser degree still is, quite a lot higher than it is here. This doesn't mean the level here is low, simply that there were many, many more professionals and very serious hobbyists who were members. Also, because there were basically no restrictions upon the types of photos which could be posted there, as well as how they were processed, there was more scope for expanding the boundries and allowing for tremendous photos of all genres. This is not to lament what we have here, I prefer it, but I don't deny the skills and the artistic vision others have. What I really like about PhotoSIG is that it was the first site of its kind I joined, and due to my participation there, I have become a much better photographer. The reason for my improvement was due in part to the large number of high quality posters there, but it was really more due to my giving critiques. By giving quite thorough and picky critiques (both there and here), my own photography has improved so much. I really believe it is the single most valuable thing web sites such as this can do for photographers. I have photoSIG to thank for starting me on the road to analytical thought about photography and I have trekearth to thank for allowing me to continue along that road.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: www.photoSIG.? Heaven forbid! Part two

Bart mentioned the admins on photoSIG as being a problem. I certainly believe that used to be true. One admin in particular was a total ass, no other way to put it. He was arrogant, rude, condescending, totally in love with himself and his power. It was certainly the single worst hiring decision Willis (the owner) ever made. That admin person (no names from me) is no longer in that position (my guess is forced to resign), but he still continues to haunt the forums and do quite a lot of damage to the site, IMO. The admin staff they have now does quite a good job of trying to placate a large number of users. They can't make everyone happy, but by and large I think they do ok.

The forums at photoSIG also got to be and still are a problem. At one point (early 2003, due in large part to Gulf War II), the political extremists from both sides seemed to take over, and the feelings became outright hostile. That was allowed to go on too long I think, but finally was removed completely. Even now, primarily through a very few members, the forums can flare up into somewhat of a (un)civil war. Every village needs its idiot and photoSIG being a large virtual village has a number of them. It is too bad, but there are those who haunt the forums there who really ruin it for more moderate users. Active forums can be a difficult thing on the net. The increase traffic and can foster a sense of community, but when they get out of hand, they can tear things apart in a hurry.

Anyways, like I said, I still visit photoSIG and still enjoy my time there. They do need to do something to increase the activity of critiquers, and there are other problems for them to work out, but because it is where I started out, I still feel comfortable there. Do I want trekearth to become like photoSIG? Not for even a second. I like the sense of community here and the relative lack of competition (it does show up, more now than before I am affraid). PhotoSIG is no threat to trekearth, I try to benefit from belonging to both sites.I also flat out love the subject matter here. Two of my favorite things are travel and photography. It is like this site was made for me. Long live photoSIG and for certain, long live trekearth.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:44 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Can we learn anything from history?

"is there something that we can learn from their troubles? Can we find clues for taking evasive action?"

We should support any efforts the administration (Adam) takes to keep this site troll-free, yet welcoming to new users. This is an inherently difficult dance, but it's necessary for the health and growth of the community.

I've been looking around PhotoSIG for the last few weeks. Looks like a site that was once great but was ruined by bad vibes. Hopely never here.