Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-03-2004, 03:39 PM
TE Newbie

Default Just a thought.....

Sometimes I wonder where all of this is heading to. I mean, what's to become of all these amazing photographs? I recently started thinking about it, and here's an idea. Just a brainwave. Off the top of my head. Just to get other people thinking about it...

Why not publish them in a book one day?

How would one do that, you might ask? Well, I have some ideas....

* All countries ever posted to will be represented in the book.

* Photographs of a country will be chosen that represent the country the best, and will not necessarily be those that were given the most points by members (because we are all aware of the inherent flaws of the points system anyway).

* Photographs to include in the book will be chosen by independent, knowledgeable people, and their decision will be final. There will be no discussions about what gets included and what not.

* The author of a photograph will be asked to give his/her permission to include a photo in the book. If permission isn’t given, the photo simply gets put aside and another photo is chosen in its place.

* Nobody will receive payment in ANY form for the inclusion of a photo in the book.

* All proceeds of the sale of the book will be donated to a charitable organization, to be chosen by Adam. Nobody will make any money out of it.

This way, some of these amazing photographs will be ‘immortalized’ in a book, and all of us will be contributing to something good by giving something of the talent we received so graciously.

But, like I said, it’s just a thought......

H.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Just a thought.....

Nice idea but 2 problems immediately spring to mind. The image size of 800 x 600 will result in tiny images once published and secondly there would be a huge amount of work involved in obtaining copyright on the images.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Nice idea, Henry.
1. can be a year book, because posting never stop. 2003 year book can be started already.
2. the size:the selected photographers will have to re-edit their photos without resizing.
3. Copyright: no problem. the photos are alreadt published on TE..
Old 02-03-2004, 04:03 PM
TE Senior Member

It is a good thought Henrye. This idea has been discussed before, but to be honest, you have been probably more thorough in your thoughts. I would personally love to see it happen. I believe the last time this was brought up, the general consensus was that the initial cost of getting the book onto the market might be too high. I wish I had contacts within the publishing industry somewhere, perhaps someone else does?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:03 PM
TE Newbie

Good points.

I forgot to mention that the original file (i.e. much bigger than the smaller size that was posted) will have to be given WITH the permission to print the photo. There should be enough photos out there that are of good enough quality to print.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:08 PM

Bonjour tous,

The idea was there before... It is interesting.
Read Luko's posting.

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 02-03-2004, 04:20 PM
TE Newbie

Oops, I wasn't aware that this has been discussed before. I only became a member of TE after the last discussion about it.

Anyway, it just goes to show that it is an idea that will not go away easily.... :-)

Henry
Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM

Bonjour Henry,

Of course I understand you can't read 53 pages with 20 postings on each, more than 1,000... ;o)
But I thought it would be interesting for you and everybody who is attracted by this nice idea.
Let's think about it again, and waiting suggestions...

Viviane
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Another (related) Idea

Perhaps a book would be too ambitious simply due to the logistics involved, but how about a calendar or a number of calendars? My understanding is that it is not all that expensive (but not inexpensive either) to have a calendar printed. Of course, if there is only one calendar printed, that would limit it to 12 or 13 photos/photographers, but perhaps there could be a few different calendars done, each with its own theme. For example, there could be a TE landscapes calendar as well as a TE wildlife and a TE peoples or events calender, etc. Or, we could perhaps break it up into regions, or some other such division.

I would guess that when printing a calendar, the quality of the original would have to be very high, due to the size of the reproduction. For example, I doubt a 2 megapixel camera would be able to produce a clean enough file. Likewise, a highly cropped shot might have problems in reaching the needed size. For these reasons, it might be difficult to judge from what is posted here what will work, but this is simply another detail to be worked out. Thanks for bringing this up again Henrye.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
TE Expert

Nice idea Henry... ;-)

I really thought that could be feasible at the time I wrote this : at least, go see a publisher, show them the prototype book (ie portfolio and text) and hear whether they'd be interested in funding or publishing the project.

The thing that worries me a bit more now is that when I wrote that, the community was much more coherent (in the way they wanted TE to evolve) than it is now.

To say the truth, Bobtrips' POV about competition raising in here is also mine, I therefore regret the old days spirit as much as he does.
While I optimistically didn't see any problems on the terms of the selection, I'm quite worried now when I see that virtual "groups" have formed without being named so, and do not exactly share the same views about the how, what and whies...(the problem is not here "groups", which is a natural phenomenon when critical size has been met...the issue is that groups don't want to be identified as groups, but the whole...).

Add on top of that a certain level of individual competition and I wish you a merry selection process...not to say like for every good politics, that if a "group-not" sees that his POV is not selected, there are chances the selection will be discussed on and on.

Why did I let it down? good question, I didn't feel enough people (besides Adam -once again- and very few others) would spend a little of their time or brains on that.

Apart from that, if you need to speak about it and if I can help you in any ways, you know how to contact me.

I know or assume some of you have already been published (not in the photo sections : Pascal, Ken (?)...) : can you expand on what you'd see as a publisher's approach...it seems that different countries give different publishing business models.
Or did even someone try by himself (thinking about clod, but not on assignment)?