Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:43 AM
TE Expert

Unhappy Do you realise ?

Only 40 pictures were published in TE in the last 24 hours
A big difference with the past many people has gone
TE staff should worry about this

Last edited by Porteplume; 07-13-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Member who opened this thread may not delete it after replies have been made
Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 PM
TE Expert

When good people leave, the way to survive is to encourage any good/promising new member to stay on.
There's only one way to do that: by giving them good, honest critiques, and then hope they become active members too.

Both passive posting (without giving critiques) and mutual backslapping are dead ends.

Benny
Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 PM

The site really has gone from one extreme to the other over the past few years. From a peak of over 700 images a day to the low of 40 is certainly not good news.
From a purely personal viewpoint (not as a Mod), 700 was far too many as images were disappearing from the home page in a matter of minutes and many were not receiving any comment or critique at all. I feel this was one cause of the downward spiral. If somebody new posts and image and gets no reaction they may post a couple more, but if the result for those is the same they will stop participating. There is a natural flow of people to and from the site, but if the established members move and aren't replaced by new members who continue the critiques, the slide downhill accelerates.
Add to that the growth of the social media site and this type of site is going to struggle even more.
If anybody has any suggestions for ways to address the problems I know the Mods will be interested to hear them. Please don't suggest changes which will cost money as those are unlikely to be progressed by the site owners.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 AM
TE Expert

Thumbs down Downward spiral

I am not convinced that everyone who joins need to get comments for the success of a social media site. From network theory perspective, it is the activity of the hubs and the central nodes (the highest number of shortest paths through any given node pairs that pass through a node) that matter for the general network growth, functionality and stability. TE policies several years ago discouraged the hub nodes (the most active people and their most active friends) in favor of averaged distributive nodes (any and all newcomers). The obvious instability followed. I don't really see a way out, mathematically speaking, until one changes the theme and somehow attracts a collection of people with common interests.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Any chance that somebody could translate the previous post into something the average member (me) can understand?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitht View Post
Any chance that somebody could translate the previous post into something the average member (me) can understand?
Also translation in French please! Ordinary English is difficult enough for me...

Viviane
Old 07-10-2015, 05:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Downhill...

I do drop by TrekEarth maybe 4-5 times a year since I stopped participating, frankly I don't quite know why... This discussion reminded me of a similar argument a few years ago.

And the last years the TE traffic is slowing down no doubt, I don't have data but Malgorzata showed a trend that probably is intensified by now.

None of my business really, but there is no idea asking the still active members why so many left! You have to consult some who actually dropped out and ask them why, then some meaningful information may turn up.

That said, photo sites designed similar to TrekEarth are dying all over the internet these days, people seems to prefer faster access (by phone) and they are not emphasising photo quality just news value. Bigger companies than yours misjudged the impact of smart phones, Nokia to mention one.

(Wow! My login works! Haven't tried that for years)
Old 07-11-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablominto View Post
That said, photo sites designed similar to TrekEarth are dying all over the internet these days, people seems to prefer faster access (by phone) and they are not emphasising photo quality just news value. Bigger companies than yours misjudged the impact of smart phones, Nokia to mention one.
This is correct.

This thread, like so many before it, keeps gravitating towards blaming the strict TOS and the implementation by the Moderators. Criticisms of the static nature of the site design may be fair enough, and I would myself criticise the implementation of large files - they slow down noticeably the loading of images which are still constrained to 800 pixels on the screen; that must put people off for a start.

But most of the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to be taking place in a vacuum. It's as if Facebook, Twitter, easily set up photo blogs and personal websites, plus smartphone cameras, had never come into existence.

Malgo, compare your numbers with this:
Some years ago disgruntled members of TE left to set up a very similar site where there would be no point-scoring - Photofolia.net
Over the years, the site has managed to accumulate 575 members, many of whom have never uploaded a photo. On the 9/07/2015, 6 photos were uploaded, and on the 10/07/2015 only 4 were uploaded. A quick glance at the first few pages of the gallery shows there are only around 10 active members.

Many photo sites have closed down, even Fotopedia. And this is happening despite the world being awash with photographic images. Even if TE scrapped its purpose and its TOS, and allowed selfies and shots of restaurant meals, it would not be able to compete with the existing 'social media' sites (including Flickr), and our site would be full of rubbish.

The only things I can think of to resuscitate TE are
1. Re-design the dated site; even its appearance is dated and lack-lustre
2. Scrap large images to increase loading speed. Many very large images are poor quality anyway, and the permitted resolution is wasted on them.
3. Increase the daily upload limit to 3 photos
4. Carefully re-draft and simplify the TOS without sacrificing quality, integrity and originality
5. Combine TE, TL and TN into one site and change the name

It might work; who knows? But I'm not full of optimism.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:19 AM
TE Expert

Hi,

I always promise to myself not to take part in discussions on the Forum but then I am tempted in one moment and I regret it later. The reason this time is that I have been preparing lately the book about time series analysis. After seeing many graphs of US airpassengers, US Global Brutto Product, exchange rates of Eur versus US dollar, Population in somewhere and so on, and so on,I tried to apply it to something that is familoiar to me the numbers about TrekEarth. It is ideal source of data for such an analysis as we have a long series of daily data, that can be aggregated in moths and years.I wouldlike to make an advanced research using R environment, that is widely used in the world for statistics, and I will do it later; in the moment I just took the years. But such analysis is done to make predictions. So this time I am concerned with the future more than the past. And this future is not pleasant.

I know that most such sites are in troubles. I liked Fotopedia but it doesn't exist any more, Photofolia had problems, the same New Photoland. Maybe the lack of time is the reason. There is much efort to post a photo on TE, with critiques , note and no effort at all on Facebook.
As to the big format, I am glad to post photos with 1600 pixels but it doeasnt make any sense to post bigger ones as we do not see he composition of the whole on screen, we can't read the note and see the photo in the same time and the quality is very often quite bad. I am still using beta.
Main thing now is : can we stop the process?
I am sorry to make this again and again.

Last edited by emka; 07-11-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
As to the big format, I am glad to post photos with 1600 pixels but it doeasnt make any sense to post bigger ones as we do not see he composition of the whole on screen, we can't read the note and see the photo in the same time and the quality is very often quite bad. I am still using beta.
Malgo, you are correct. Your photos of 1600 pixels are dwarfed by those which are over 3000 pixels and 5mb in size. If you use the old beta site, at least after waiting for the photo to load you will see the full size image, or part of it. Not that it is worth waiting for in many cases. There is absolutely no point in uploading anything larger than 1200 x 800 pixels, which still looks sharp in a 350kb file. At least such a photo can be viewed 100% on a 24" screen, although not on a laptop. People who have smaller screens - laptop or tablet - should not have to wait while a large file loads which can only be viewed 100% on the new site, and only if the pixel dimensions I have given above are applied by the uploader.

But this is just one of the things which is probably turning people off TE. This is the age of mass distraction and gratification, and the gratification must be instant. As you say, uploading to FB takes no time at all. People don't care if the photos are rubbish, they just don't care.

If money and professional expertise is not put into TE, it will wither away.
Closed Thread