Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: points

... contamination.Although I notice that you were not that lucky.
reason I'm emigrate this non-protected free image-bank noticing my bulls running all over the net ... take care, venom watching you ...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: points and being unlucky

..but then Henk really is a good photographer! He could have twice as many as those he's unfortunate enough to have - it's important not to get hung up on the points but equally important not to get too hung up on not liking them either - there is a critical/cynical view of them but they also help encourage and build communication apart from their downside..........people don't just give each other large amounts of points in a blind reciprocal fashion (although some may be equally cynical in collecting them!).....many people come to appreciate what the other photographer is trying to do and how a new image relates to their development of ideas, observations or as a photographer......the work may fail all sorts of objective tests and the trends of communal subjectivity on this site but may still have enormous meaning in the relationship between two photographers or even a group.......but as was said - quality critiques are far more valuable....even a short one when it comes from particular photographers who excel at some aspect of the art - they may recognise a quality or a redeemable failing in the work and both help us grow as artists, photographers, craftspeople, observers, writers and technicians!

Above all have fun here Irene and don't be put off making friends by concerns over points!

best wishes Kev
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM
TE Expert

...ps......and what Henk just said is also really important - people mine TE for images and contravene copyright and ownership on this site as with any unprotected web sharing site - if you have something which you do not want to find being used out there amongst the billions of images being produced every year - maybe for commercial, artistic, journalistic or simply sharing purposes without your knowledge or agreement it's maybe best not to post it here.....

bw K
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you Kev. I appreciate the explanations. I am just trying to understand the system a little more before I dive deeper or stay out of it. The value of TE for me is to enjoy interesting pictures and photographers, to have some back and forth about the photos, and also to discover places I might like to visit. That's a lot.

Cheers,
Old 05-18-2009, 05:36 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: points system off

Hi Irena,
In my opinion, the best way to deal with points system is turning it off. It is what I did. Since TE offers this possibility, I am at ease to use it and let others comfortable to not give me points either, keeping them for other members who like it. It did not disturb me to continue counting on sincere advice from other members, to improve my skills in photography, which I appreciate a lot, because I still have a lot to learn.
Best wishes,
Docarmo