Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 06:43 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Loosing quality of pictures when converting to JPEGs for

Hi Lamberto,
you are right :)) these are all very typical mistakes - in the ocean of others! But it seems to me this process can't stop...
best wishes,
elena
Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: converting to JPEGs for TE

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'm only running CS2 but the only like features I was able to find was
_filter/blur/Gaussian blur and brought it down to radius 1 pixel
but it didn't do anything.

It looks like the image started with has a resolution of only 72 pixels/inch; could that have been my problem?
I've been seriously contemplating an upgrade to CS4 anyway, maybe this will be my excuse.

If it's any help, here's the image I'm trying to upload http://www.flickr.com/photos/godutchbaby/3531591774/sizes/l/

Thank you for trying to help me, if I'm too "beginner" for this forum, I will gently bow out of this forum and stick with posting my images at Flickr.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: converting to JPEGs for TE

The pixellation is more than likely because you have used too much compression when you saved. After clicking 'save' in CS2 a jpeg options box appears which gives you the option of different qualities on a slider. Just to the right of this the file size appears (in small numbers under the 'preview' box - make sure that is ticked) Adjust the slider so the file size is just below the 300kb allowance. You have to use trial & error as each image will have a different file size depending on the content of the image (eg a lot of leaves uses a lot of memory so the file size will be big) A good starting point will be about quality value 9. But first of all when you downsize to 800px the image loses sharpness. I think CS2 has smart sharpen?? If so set it to reduce lens blur and radius between 0.1 - 0.5, 100%. Again it's trial & error to get the sharpness right. Too much sharpness is as bad as not enough. You can also use Unsharp mask with the same radius and amount.
We were all beginners once so keep trying!
Good luck
Kath