Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 AM
TE Newbie

Default Where do you post your other photo albums?

Hi all,

Just curious about where some of you may be posting your other photos.

Aside from posting a few images on TE, I also have created galleries at SmugMug and Zenfolio. I've not decided completely on which one to stay with since they both have their pros and cons. I've even tried creating my own albums with Arles and hosting them on my private server.

Looking for input and thoughts when it comes to good services that host large galleries, both private and public.

Peter
Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Where do you post your other photo albums?

Hi Peter;

I've had an account with www.Clikpic.com for sometime (with my domain name www.danwalshstudios.com). For the most part I like the setup, but I find my shots seem to be lowered in resolution when I upload them. With that being said, I'm looking to do as you did and move over to SmugMug- what con's have you found with that site Peter?

Cheers,
- Dan
Old 05-14-2009, 06:43 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Dan,

Any cons I have with SmugMug are offset by the image quality of my pictures. Large or small displays are very sharp and clear. However, I don't find the gallery themes very appealing. They don't look as clean as the ones I had in Zenfolio. Also, I've run into a number of situations where SmugMug is slow in displaying the thumbnails and images. It's spotty, but it happens. With Zenfolio I always experienced good performance. There are other issues that cause me to go back and forth on the two services, however, I have to drop one or the other, or find a service that gives me the good points of both SmugMug and Zenfolio (good luck, eh?).

If you're going to try SmugMug, make sure you go to their forum if you get stuck, it really helps. If you're looking for something simple and easy to setup, then give Zenfolio a try. But in both cases, make sure you try for everything you might need. For example, I do panorama pictures and they cannot be displayed in Zenfolio, but they can in SmugMug. I also like to post digital videos which SmugMug allows, but not Zenfolio. And if you're into selling your prints, SmugMug has a lot more to offer. Both offer trial periods, so you should be able to see how they compare to Clikpic.

Good luck Dan :-)

Peter
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM
TE Expert

Wow! Lots of new names to investigate there! I use pbase as a simple reference point for people to view work images and the ones I take for my own pre-occupations.