Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM
TE Expert

Default good and never heard of

This forum has been awfull quiet as of late, I thought I wouls start a thread with what I consider to be fantastic galleries from photographers you most likely never heard of,
here is one on pbase, mostly bw street photos.
Olivier Dienst
Peter
Anyone else wants to link some hidden gems?
Old 07-27-2005, 05:31 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: good and never heard of

Sure,

Michael Kenna
Old 07-27-2005, 05:44 PM
TE Expert

Kenna is good for sure, very accomplished photographer, just keep in mind that if you provide a link to someone who somebody is familiar with, you get 10 points taken away ;-)
Keep em coming

Here is another one.
Ian MacEachern
Old 07-27-2005, 06:56 PM
TE Expert

hey i haven't checked out this forum for months...................

gal...........

michael kenna is one of the most famous fine art photographers in the world :) infact he also taught at the ICP

if we're talking famous photographers you might also find jerry uelsman very interesting. he was way ahead of the digital age.. he is the best when multiple exposures are concerned...

also it's a biggggggggggggg biggggggggggggggggggggggggggg pity that nobody has ever mentioned richard avedon in this forum...

here is a 'small' article on him.. ( small compared to his stature in the world of photography)

it is more or less useless to give any 1 link to his photographs because his works are scatterred all over.. i recommend that you do a search on his photographs.. there are just too many of them :)

however.. i'll start you off with a few of his photographs..

here

this guy ian maceachern is pretty good..
as far as his asylum photographs are concenred.. if i had not come across eugene richards ( who in my opinion is the most 'penetrating' photographer ) i might have been impressed.. but right now they don't even pinch me..
i'm saying this without any disrespect for the photographer.. it's just that i'm familiar with richards' work and so... it does not really throw me off my balance.. that's what i really look for in photographs :)
Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 PM
TE Junior Member

I agree completely with the statement that Eugene Richards is the best at getting INTO the story. Just look through Fat Baby and you'll see the kind of stuff he goes through. The guy is a little nuts and does his share of drugs, but he is a genious at his craft. Just his ability to get right into a drug dealer's face and take photos without getting shot is astonishing.

I am not sure if anyone else has heard of David LaChapelle, but in my mind, he is probably the best and most inovative fashion photographer of this decade.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:35 PM
TE Expert

yes i've heard of david lachapelle.. but he's far from best for me.. he's a little too extravagant and doesn't have that classy/subtle touch..
it can get a little 'cheap' to be more precise..

i infact rate max vadukul way above him.. he has a kind of a flair.. avedon had that..

you're right about richards.. about him getting into the story and all that..

but i was actually being specific here.. about the asylum and all that..
saying this because i once talked a gentleman who's been working with the disabled for a long long time... and he was talking about photography where he mentioned that photographing the mentally disabled is tough.. most people just show 'madness' or 'loneliness' from a distance.. i don't know if you get what i mean...

i hope it's ok if i give some links to exemplify what i was trying to say.. sometimes it's hard to put all this down in words..

killer
grandy

these 2 photographs can make my heart sink.. ian's photographs are just another bunch of photographs from an asylum.
most photographers bring out the madness of the inmates..
richards brings out the humanity which makes his photographs extremely powerful..

what is special about his photographs is that they're full of contrasts and contradictions which makes his work very very powerful in my opinion.. something that i've been harping about for quite some time.. but nobody seems to try it out themselves :)

sorry gal/peter for talking about richards in this forum. i'll shut up now :)
Old 07-27-2005, 09:11 PM
TE Expert

Interesting take on Ian's asylum Sohrab, because I feel that he has presented it with great deal of humanity without the shock effect that many would inspire to do, hey makes it interesting if poeple can read it in different ways.
Either way I like him not just for the asylum but also his other images, perhaps they maybe too conservative for your liking, but I like it a whole lot.

Will get your links when I have time.
Peter
Old 07-27-2005, 09:34 PM
TE Expert

yeah..have a look when you have the time :)

as i said.. most photographers bring out the madness..
yes his photographs are more sober than others' but even then, his 'asylum' photographs are very empty.. i think it'll be better if you check out those links only.. i don't really know how to explain myself and will only manage in confusing everyone :)

i reeeeally like his industrial photographs though...

his prints seem very old.. any idea how long he's been photographing???
Old 07-27-2005, 09:43 PM
TE Junior Member

I understand what you mean by insane asylum and bringing humanity to it. It's along the same line are your comment about war photography.

I think it's wrong to compare La Chapelle to Max Vadukul, because their style and audience is much different. They both have their strong and weak points. Chapelle is a master at lighting and creative expression where Max is more human in his portraits and fashion. Personally, I like my photo documentries to be human and fashion to be loud, expressive, and in your face...because after all, fashion is just as much about capturing one's attention as the clothing. I guess for me, it's like comparing Martin Parr to Eugene Richards.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:33 PM
TE Expert

yeah i guess you're right..
anyway i'm very new to fashion and hence quite finicky and all that :)
have to get used to it all..

helmut newton??
herb ritts??