Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-28-2006, 11:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Trash Photos and Junk Shots and More Rubbish

That dump site in Phnom Penh that... you know the one, the one from which photos have littered TE (sorry, I can never resist such a pun).

Well, here is a little photostory of everyones favorite trash tourist attraction.

I like the photos of this reportage, but, i must say, if a few photogs on TE collaborated, the shots from this place on TE could make these professional photos look like, well...

http://zreportage.com/GARBAGE/GARBAGE_Results1.shtml
Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Trash Photos and Junk Shots and More Rubbish

checked your link, interesting set which I like the cinematics and story unfolding from 1 to 8, like a full slide show. I will leave apart image 9 which is more repetitive.
Hence, I wouldn't agree on this following asumption :
I like the photos of this reportage, but, i must say, if a few photogs on TE collaborated, the shots from this place on TE could make these professional photos look like, well...

Well, the problem is that however gifted our TrekEarth photographers are, very few have story skills, some will rather shoot for the sake of it, others will endlessly repeat the same image. At the end of the day, such key photos like the weighing machine, the money involved, or more general plans of the location, will be forgotten. Looking at this set of 8 photos, I will learn more about the dump than browsing the 100 photos displayed in TrekEarth.

Otherwise as standalones, I agree that there could be a few better photos in Trekearth than in the Zuma reportage. The problem is that you can ALWAYS find better photos...

Cheers
Luko
Old 07-29-2006, 03:51 AM
TE Senior Member

Actually, now that I looked back at the TE photos of the dump, one could believe that the place is fun since so many kids are beaming with big smiles, which might not necesarily representative of reality (other than the reality that a lot of kids like lenses pointed at them).

But, thinking of the story, wouldn't the layout be better if the key images (scale and money) weren't be set in the middle?
Old 07-29-2006, 03:10 PM
TE Expert

one could believe that the place is fun since so many kids are beaming with big smiles...
That's exactly my point Narayan, and that's why the so many photos of smiling cute kid piss me off (other than seeing too much of them, 99% being a copy of what has already been done).

thinking of the story, wouldn't the layout be better if the key images (scale and money) weren't be set in the middle?
To me they're perfectly set there, after the hard working and before a final view and the day taht ends. I simply don't understand the need of image 9.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 AM
TE Junior Member

i actually brought some tourists there, and helped make it tourist attraction. what is more , we spend there - lord have mercy - only few minutes and already managed to litter Trekearth ! and we could be story telling , instead of just enjoying our time with those damned cute kids making images that wannabe pros just wouldnt look at. i just think that run for professionalism can kill joy of photography - and i shoot what I feel looks good in a frame. only this counts.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 AM
TE Expert

picture #8 has a nasty dust spot on it. Its a good shot but cmon, this is a pro shot going out and that kind of stuff should be fixed up.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 AM
TE Expert

Hey Luko, I disagree a bit. You dont see more stories on TE because people long series are not conducive to TE. We put one photo per day and its judged as a stand alone instead of part of a series. Thats the nature of TE I guess, you go for the fireworks on every image instead of posting a story with some informative but rather boring shots. I have 2 long series I shot over tha last week, I wont post the whole thing because some shots are a bit unspectacular and also because people get bored of the same theme I think.

The story is good and some of those shots would score big here, some would flop as stand alones but are good as part of a story. I think there are a few guys here who could develop a story just as good or veen better than the Zuma story.

But still Image #8 and the dust spot. nasty nasty lack of attention to detail. One click in photoshop with the clone tool is all it would take.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:26 AM
TE Expert

First, thanks to Don for this thread. I really wish we could have more threads where we can exchange ideas and argue about the real medium of photography, which is hardle technique and rules of 1/3rd. I look up everyday the P forum hoping someone is throwing a debate that takes us off the photoshop window.

I don't think this guy is yet a full-nlown professional, reading the small bio about him. But his pictures are as good as anyone, which...is the problem. For me, save #3, all lack punch, either at story level, or something about the processing. The story of course, is nothing new, as far as the net goes, and probably a bit more, save the national evening news in our countries. At this point, I'd say we really should hear and see beyond the time these kids are on the dump, so we can relate it to a social and political situation, what, why, how long, who, etc.... The stuff about family needs the money, cycle of poevrty unbroken, blahblah... Sorry, it's great for a TE note, but not as photo-journalism.

I agree with Luko, pictures must tell a story, and though it's true that TE is not the best vehicle for that, I think we can easily have in mind some of the members who build up a story out of laying out many pictures, knowing them for months on this site, or on another one.

Last point, Jinju, not sure about the dust thingo. I failed to see it, or i saw too many, the bad habit of eating in front of the comp' :-). But I do not think it's that important, in the context of telling a story. You have to think that few people are as exacting as someone like you, who goes over so many pictures on a daily basis, with a critical eye. Obviously, the people at the zuma agency did not think it was an urgent matter. IMO....
Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
TE Expert

It looks terrible. It atleast ruins a really nice shot. I dont know how you can look at something like that and let it go. I dont know, Im sure Id never allow somethig like that and hell, Im putting photos up on TE. I dont see anything positive about it.

One thing I will agree with you is this. Its an overdone story. At this point, Ive seen so many photos of this place that its a cliche of sorts. It certainly looks nice, shot well, the guy has a very good eye, but its not an exciting story, not a new story, it doesnt shake the earth. I much prefer less catchy, but original topics, and this really isnt.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
TE Expert

I disagree a bit. You dont see more stories on TE because people long series are not conducive to TE. We put one photo per day and its judged as a stand alone instead of part of a series. Thats the nature of TE I guess, you go for the fireworks on every image instead of posting a story with some informative but rather boring shots. I have 2 long series I shot over tha last week, I wont post the whole thing because some shots are a bit unspectacular and also because people get bored of the same theme I think.

That's not the analysis I personnally make about TrekEarth (but once again you don't have to agree).
There are LOTS of self called "series" in TrekEarth but instead of unfolding a story, some photographers put again and again the same shot. Which in the end is much more boring than new angles with less firework.

as for me, I don't see any contradiction between being informative and spectacular, nor do I see any with standalone "fireworks" and bore you to death.

Other than that, I have seen photographers in Trekearth, who were trying to give a new "view" to ever photographed subjects, some of the critics they received implied that it was not what was expected from the idea. This doesn't encourage novelty : but it does show a bit of what is in the criticers mind (who are also the photograhers). So I suspect that in many cases, many photograhers will just apply a "pattern" that works, I wonder if ever they would (could)think about something else.

Although I agree Trekearth format is not really suited for real series.

"I think there are a few guys here who could develop a story just as good or veen better than the Zuma story."

Perhaps, may be, who knows, etc. The problem is that according to TrekEarth, apart from a very few photos, the PP dump is a place where cute kids giggle and smile to the lens.

Is TrekEarth made for more contentful photos? I don't know.
Nygus says he prefers to shoot kids there, because he enjoys it, no problem. ...Although I think some people would agree that he didn't make his most striking photos at this place.
But where that misses the point is that you can't put it forward to pretend that TrekEarth people would have done better than Zuma if they wanted to. Would you believe me if I said that if the coach had got Zidane out and put ME in, France would have won the world cup? Ha... logically you'd be very embarassed to say. Perhaps, maybe, who knows, etc.

The problem of the PP dump is that it suffers in TrekEarth of "the cute kid giggling syndrom", which characterizes the photographers by a sheer incapicity of photographying something else than close up kids smiling.

When I think descriptive and spectacular, I can think in a very artistic way of Sohrab, or in a more journalistic way, Markgong. Where are they now? not pretty much active on TrekEarth.

Cheers
Luko