Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-25-2006, 12:01 AM
TE Expert

Default Tomas Monita

Tomas Munita - some of the best photography I have seen in a while, some of his stories are from war/disaster raveged regions, and it makes me almost think that the images from there shouldn't have that much beauty. The colours are out of this world, some bw, many of the images simply knock me off my feet, just so beautifull.
Peter
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Tomas Monita

yes.. he's quite famous actually..
was awarded the infinity award at the icp a couple of years ago i think.. and he also also got the oskar barnack award for this year..
he's been in war regions primarily because he's a wire photographer based in asia. i think he works for reuters.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:12 AM
TE Expert

in one section on his website he lists different awards, whole page of them, quite deserved I would say.
Peter
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 AM

beautiful photography. each time I see such beautiful pictures I tell myself - just quit it...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
TE Expert

I don't believe you, Maciej! Just keep at it, not quit it.
This is very solid work, though within the type of images we get from other top photographers, like Mc Curry (i'd be surprised if he did not claim him as an influence). These guys show us the kind of excellence we all can aspire to, with dedication and a sense of purpose. I like it very much, enthralling, engaging photography, still the style is not totally individual (not a problem with such strong, purposeful photography), almost part of a collective style of photo-journalism.

Find your voice, free yourself of influences as you grow, don't look up to anyone in the process, and IMO, you will never say anymore: Just quit it.

Thanks for the link, HH!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
TE Expert

true.. actually even i see a lot of mccurry in his work.. but his portraits are not very good.

personally.. his work doesn't excite me too much..
he's a very very good wire photographer but that's about it.. none of his photographs are immortalised for me.. i guess this is just a matter of taste, but yeah he's not bad at all..

i'm also curious to see what direction his photography goes in now.
there's a lot of brouhaha about post processing and all happening all over.. a lot of it is quite petty and stupid i feel..
one guy working in a paper in LA i think got fired because he deepedned the colour of the sun to some extent in his photograph which was not the case in raw file. a lebanaese photographer got fired by reuters for postprocessing the sky in a photograph of israeli bombardment, the burning of the sky made it look like there was more smoke and hence more destruction.
and ofcourse there is whole separate issue of 'posed photographs' in lebanon, which has led to a loss of credibility of photojournalists.
because of this a lot of photoeditors and all are getting cranky.
maybe mark will be able to update us more on this..

munita postprocessed like crazy when it comes to dodging and burning, which is not a bad thing.. he's also bringing in vignettes in alot of his photographs which actually sometimes contribute a lot to his photographs. some of his photographs are like black and white prints in colour, i feel..
if you've seen his work from banaras, in the photograph of the dead body being carried, he's burnt out everything on top.
i don't know if photographs like this will be accepted by many editors now, considering that the world of press photography seems to be in turmoil and people are starting to get petty about things...
best of luck to him.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:29 PM
TE Expert

I didn't look at him as a photojournalizm (at least based on this website) at all, with all the processing I just can't see anyone accepting it as a journalizm these days, for me it is pure art, hence he can process all he wants. Is the photography revolutionary or extremely unique? probably not, yet when I looked it at it caused this special sensation that I don't experience very often ( I am talking about photography and nothing else;-)/.
Anyway, I find images like (just from Kabul) the soccer field, the blue thingy, bath house, cooking in the morning on the street, old guy with women behind, school, (list could go on), to be absolutely breathtaking.
I was surprised Sohrab it took you two messages to start complaining about him ;-), but in some sense (being able to combine reality in very artsy way)I find your photography somewhat similar.
Peter
Old 08-25-2006, 05:09 PM
TE Expert

"I didn't look at him as a photojournalizm"

yes, but he IS a wire photographer.

"I was surprised Sohrab it took you two messages to start complaining about him ;-)"

oh no , you misunderstood me...
i'm not complaining about him.. the thing is that i'm so fed up of seeing photographs nowadays, and i guess i'm just looking for something really really different.. and maybe i'm hoping to see work from a "once in a generation" photographer or something like that.. you know.. i'm not at all inspired by what i see nowadays, infact it's all quite depressing. the last time i felt like crying when i saw anybody's photographs because i hadn't taken them was when i saw some of ackerman's and agata's photographs.. and to be honest i'm not very interested in seeing "good" photographs at moment.. can't help it.. that's the way i feel :( the work has to be fantastic, otherwise i'll just skip it..

"but in some sense (being able to combine reality in very artsy way)I find your photography somewhat similar."

maybe that explains why i'm so disgusted with my own work ;)

this year's recipient of the infinity award for young photographers is ahmet polat

i find this (the last one) quite interesting..
Old 08-25-2006, 07:57 PM
TE Expert

Thanks a lot for the details, Sohrab. Hey, it seems you read the NY Times. I read that article about the sky and smoke, very interesting.
I was afarid to be ignorant about it, but I thought too that that style of photography was often influenced (Henk may read that thread, so i won't use affect, ahahah) by that trend of gloom-editing a shot. It seemed flagrant to me, but was not sure, maybe slide film and metering setting, I thought.
I was less enthralled by the Banaras shots, than from Kashmir ones, but then, not the same level of adrenalin!
I think for editors, when you become a creative author of images (ie. a "name"), rather than a supplier, it makes a difference. Most likely, the pictures will be used as documentary a week at least after the fact (in a weekly/monthly mag), the impact/sensitizing will be more crucial than the newsmaking. I'd think his pix will be exhibited, as much about the subject as the photographer, no?

H
Old 08-25-2006, 07:59 PM
TE Expert

Default correction

sorry, meant:

as much about him as about the subject.