Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 AM
TE Newbie

Default Photographing Pain & Poverty ????

Lately I'm very confused about the subject of photographing pain and poverty...Both provide the opportunity for touching portraits. The question that rattles my mind - Would I like someone to take a picture of me, if i were in such state of pain or poverty?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:37 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Photographing Pain & Poverty ????

I have clicked a lot of photos of poverty, I feel that people try to look away when they pass through those situation as are not comfortable with it and do not want to deal with it. But people feel little more comfortable looking at the photos and can give a thought about what they can do to make situtaion better for the lesser previliged people. As far as the people who are being photographed they do not mind as they have a lot other to think than being photographed.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:24 PM
TE Expert

Default this is a good point

I have identified several reasons WHY photographers choose poverty as a motif...

Sometimes whe I read the notes I do not "feel" a thing coming from the photographer... it is just like shooting a picture of a stone or a rainbow, the subject is "interesting", but the photographer really does not feel a thing about it... These type of shots usually win awards... there must be something behind...

Other photographers seem to "feel" a lot, and their main objective seem to be to depict the situation to show others how HARD life can be...

And I have wondered also what can be felt being in such situation and being photographed... It shouldŽnt be nice or maybe they do not care, they simply care for other more important and urgent issues like surviving.

Anyway, photos of poverty are strong motivators to "shake" our common numbness and "act" in order to help others or improve situations...

K.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Default mmmm..... i somehow don't agree

i don't agree that poverty attracts more photographers than wealth does...

it is the rich, wealthy, the famous and celebrities who attract more photographers, either by choice or for work purposes...
and obviously i can't even imagine photographing only the rich, perfect, classy, celebrities, etc ,
for me those are empty photos, empty smiles, empty beauty, and empty happiness, it's a cliche, and you see everywhere all the time, those are the photos that make a photographer get money, appear in magazines, etc

i prefer to photograph authentic beauty, original, that i can make other discover, and found just paying attention to your surroundings wherever you are.

i don't agree that someone who couldn't find the time to write a touching note has not felt anything him/herself, if he/she had no feelings he wouldn't have been touched enough to shoot...

"these photos win prizes"??? more often than not, these photos go unrecognized, and if the photographer ever gets an acknowledgement it does not cover the costs of traveling, film, developing, etc...

The rich, the poor, the famous, the unknown, the beautiful, the young, the old, and everyone in between is being photographed, filmed and recorded nowadays, whether they/we like it or not...

My personal experience has been that people love being photographed, they even ask for a photo, and they are excited to see their image on the LCD screen...
Old 03-05-2005, 10:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: mmmm..... you do not have to agree Elena

do not worry, but the photos of poverty, suffering and pain DO win prizes, normally the biggest ones, the ones with more prestige... I can not remember a photo of a Queen awarded with a prize...

I did not even think about paparazzis or similar...

And what you feel about a photo, this is a personal matter, you can feel it, or not, it is a personal thing, and I can only say that we human are so different, we can be led by several motivations, some will want a contact with the people, some will not, and that is why I mentioned that there are different kind of motivations for each person...

I feel something after seeing a photo and reading the notes, and I keep track of every photo, note, posted, so I can have an image of every one in my mind...of course this may be totally wrong, but my conclusion is that everyone has different feelings, reactions...this comes from social psicology as well..

we are not equal, and I wonder if we would ever be...

K.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Default thanks for your reply

i've just expressed the first thoughts that came to my mind when i read the thread, not intended as a reply just to your comment, :)
:) thanks god photography prizes don't go to photos taken at the Oscar ceremony or to Queens/Kings....
regards!, elena
Old 03-06-2005, 05:22 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Photographing Pain & Poverty ????

Guys i agree to the point that it helps in raising a thought about what others can do to make situtaion better for the lesser previliged people... well but if I'm right most of the times these photographs have an effect on the audience only for a few hours after viewing it...and As far as the people who are being photographed they do not mind as they have a lot other to think than being photographed... does this mean that you can take a picture of them...would you like it if your were in the same situation???... Think of the Gujrat riots and u see the guy in tears... Would you like to be in that guys shoes???

:-) Sry if my notes are hard...i just want to explore the topic in detail...Pracas
Old 03-06-2005, 01:40 PM
TE Expert

Default what I have felt many times...

can be shown here, at this workshop...

<a href ="http://www.trekearth.com/workshops/98048/">
Old 03-06-2005, 01:42 PM
TE Expert

Default sorry here...

<a href ="http://www.trekearth.com/workshops/98048/">Link
Old 03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: sorry here...

then I was taking pictures of the little boys of the streets, cute friends of mine... As they are still inocent and they like to play (which I enjoy alot) it is funny on their side to be photographed.

On more extreme conditions of poverty I am sure that it wouldnt be nice and the joy I mentioned certainly wouldnt be present.

But I see that between the indiference from the people and the attention of a sporadic photographer some may prefer the second. Specially if you are genuinely interested at the person behind your lens.

K.