Sony F707/717 or V1 - forget about the F828 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-21-2003, 01:37 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Sony F707/717 or V1 - forget about the F828

Hi,
I'm currently shopping to buy a new camera and I'm interested in the Sony F717 because of what I've seen here on TE on the quality of the images taken with that camera and because I already have a Sony and would like to keep the memory sticks that I already have. My camera shop salesman says it's good but suggests that I rather buy the V1 (less expensive) and saying it has the same quality of image. Forget about the F828 coming soon, it looks great but the price is double.
I would like to know from F707/717 users if your REALLY satisfied with it, are there any things that you don't like about it, would you rather have bought a different model or brand. Do you have to do a lot of post-processing on your pics ? Does the 4X optical zoom sufficient for normal use? Any comments would be appreciated. I read a lot of reviews comparing the V1 to the Canon G5 and Nikon 5400 and they seem to be equivalent. Is that enought to really improve my pics ? I know that the person behind the camera is very important, the camera won't do the job alone, but I really want to improve and a better equipment would help. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:08 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Sony F707/717 or V1 - forget about the F828

Merci pour la référence, je connaissais déjà megapixel.com, je suis aussi allée sur DPReview.com et Steve-digicam.com qui sont encore plus détaillés. Ce que je cherche actuellement c'est des impressions d'utilisateurs de F117 qui l'utilisent depuis un certain temps.

Thanks for the reference. I already new megapixel.com, I also looked on DPReview.com and Steve-digicam.com which are even more explicite. What I am looking for now is the opinion of users which have been using this cam for some period of time.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Bonjour Nina,
I'll follow in french, as it's our common mother tongue. Anybody wishing comments in english, please let me know.
Je suis entièrement satisfait du F-717, à tous points de vue. Le seul point faible réside dans la difficulté d'évaluer sa profondeur de champ, mais le problème est le même pour tous les appareils avec visée électronique. Ce système de visée est un compromis. Bien sûr meilleur que le système de visée optique, mais inférieur à la visée reflex.
Les points forts sont son excellente prise en mains, le zoom par bague, transformable en mise au point par bague en mode manuel, la précision et la rapidité de son autofocus, les modes manuels vitesse jusqu'à 1/1000è et ouverture jusqu'à f/8 (j'aurais aimé plus, pour augmenter la profondeur de champ en macro), le zoom optique 5x, la batterie grand format qui tient la charge sur plus de 200 photos, etc. Autrement dit, je ne changerais que pour un digital avec visée reflex. En ce qui me concerne 10/10. N'hésitez pas à prendre contact en direct si vous voulez d'autres renseignement (accessoires, housse...)
Old 10-21-2003, 03:29 PM
TE Newbie

Default F717?

Brilliant camera. A perfect machine to try and develop your photography concepts. If photography is a planned event for you, then buy the 717. If you want to carry it with you all the time, then buy the F1 for the same job.

The Memory Stick/common charger/battery is a good reason to stay with Sony.

My only complaint is that pathetic silver paint finish that Sony insist on painting over an even crappier plastic body.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:21 PM

Not used one, but if you can afford the extra, I'd consider getting the Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel) - it's slightly more money, but the added flexibility would be useful IMO. The only reason I'd consider not getting that would be if the slightly smaller size of the F717 is important.

As usual, my advice is - go to the store and try them!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Nina- I've used the 707 for about 16 months and it's been a really good camera. It does IR photography, which I never got interested in, one of the problems it has is noise at higher ISO's (400 and above), but you won't use anything above 200 very often. The 717 has quite a few changes, especially to the in-camera processing. The 707 gives those Sony brilliant reds-(some don't like this saturation), the 717 does as most other consumer digitals, tones it down somewhat. All in all, it's been a good camera. I leave it with my friend who is buying it tonight. I have lots of accessories for it also. He'll get a good camera with "stuff' thrown in for a very reasonable price.
The Rebel has a totally different perspective to it, it takes more work to get good results but when you do, it's awesome. I guess we never quit trying and learning- but it gives me a headache (lol).
The 828 looks very interesting but is heavier and costs more......... You probably won't go wrong with the 717.
Go try one, different to hold for a short time, then it becomes normal.
Just one opinion,
JJ
Old 10-24-2003, 02:41 PM
TE Junior Member

Have fun, you'll enjoy it. Looking forward to some shots.........
Old 10-24-2003, 02:46 PM
TE Newbie

Hi I saw this late too..I own a 717 and a V1. Both are equally good. The V1 has less shutter lag, but the lens is not as bright as the 717. Above all, both are good cameras. I believe you will be happy with your purchase:-).
Looking forward to more photos from you.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:25 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks to all of you for your comments and details on the F717. I finally made the big jump and purchased it yesterday night and my first trials will be done during the week-end if the weather is nice enough. Don't expert anything posted so soon, I must get acquantained with it, but I do hope to be able to have better quality pics.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Nina, sorry I'm late, I don't usualy look in here. Well, what do I say? I've used the 717 for 6 months now and I am fairly happy with it. I hope you will be happy with your purchase and look forward to more good work from you. :)