Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-13-2004, 10:11 PM
TE Newbie

Default Panoramic Photos , Panoramas.

Hello,
i will need your experience again :)
There is place of magnificent view,i found recently ,but there is no way to show the whole view from there in a single photo.
So i thought that i should make a panoramic photo or even a panorama.The problem is that i don't have a special lens for this and ofcource no previous experience.What i should do ?
Take a lot of picture from the same spot , turning the camera to diferent angles on the tripod and then post processing to make all this photos a unique one ? Is there another way ?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:42 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Panoramic Photos , Panoramas.

Hi Nick,

I do panoramics all the time with my digital camera. It really isn't very difficult if you keep a few points in mind.

First, you must have some software to stitch the photos into a single image. I use the Photomerge feature in Photoshop Elements 2.0, though you can also do it by hand.

Second, before taking any pictures, mentally compose the panoramic in your mind. Where do you want to start and finish? Are there landmarks in the image space that can be used for pacing? The pano will turn out best if you do not have items in the photos that are affected by perspective...If so then take the pictures straight on and not at an angle, though there may still be some difficulty with the final image.

Third, be sure to set the exposure to for the particular shot that is most important to the pano. Once set it, you do not want to change the exposure until you finish taking all of the pano shots.

Fourth, Starting with the first shot, take the picture and BEFORE YOU TURN THE CAMERA select a landmark that is about a third of the way from the right edge of the picture (assuming you are panning right). Turn the camera so that the selected landmark is now at the left edge of the camera's view finder and you should be ready for the next image. If the scenery is changing rapidly this can have troublesome effects on the pictures.

Once all of the shots are taken then you stitch them together. The results are usually pretty good. Over time you learn what and when you can photograph for panos and not.

Have fun!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:11 PM
TE Senior Member

Let me add a bit...

Take a series of shots starting at one side of the scene and work your way to the other.

Overlap your shots about 30%.

Keep your camera as level as possible. A tripod will help a lot.

Set your camera (if it's digital) to the brightest portion of the pano. If you 'blow out'/overexpose part of a digital frame you won't be able to recover any details. You will be able to pull details from the shadows/under-exposed portions. (Slide/transparency film is just the opposite. You'll stand a better chance of pulling detail from an over-exposed portion and very little chance of pulling detail from an under-exposed portion.

Don't use a polarizing filter. As you swing through the arc the angle of the sun to filter surface will change and the exposure will shift. (I learned this the hard way. I've got several unusable panos from the Himalayas....)

You will do better if everything in the shot if far from the camera. If you're dealing with closeup (say interiors) you need to establish the nodal point for the lens (at that particular focal length) and pivot around the nodal point.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:19 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks guys for your answers!!!
It were really useful.Without you i would have been torturing myself in order to understand how to make a good panorama!I used Panorama Factory(great software) and your advise and it is piece of cake!Thanks again~!
Old 05-18-2004, 03:18 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Panos - an other way...

You could always buy a toy camera and try it
this way instead. I find it more fun than using my PC to do the work.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:32 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Panos - an other way...

Hi Mark,

You need to check the german photographer Martin Liebscher's website and more specificaly his panorama. His technique is based on the used of a modified old SLR. He would set the shutter's camera to bulb and as I will push the trigger, he will rewind the film manually and rotate it's body at the same time until he released the shutter. I've seen him doing this on TV, he sometime do that while driving is convertible car ;-).
Old 05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
TE Newbie

... and don't forget also to lock the white balance of your camera before taking the pictures...

Olivier