Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great mkamionka 2018-01-16 11:28

Hi Paul,
great series of beautiful churches. The wooden one is probably the most interesting although the last one was taken in such a great light and has as well the minaret with the Virgin Mary on top. That is quite a funny story. I suppose people may be a bit confused why the area was taken from Turks by Poles if it is Ukraine :)

Wooden churches of Malopolskie region are part of UNESCO World Heritage see here.
I come from this region and in my home town there are two wooden old churches but I never managed to photograph them. Obviously it is not the same region but relatively close :)

Great reportage!!
M

Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: wooden churches

Thank you Mariusz,

Yes, these wooden churches of Southern Lesser Poland are real beauties.
I've never seen one during my brief stay in your home country.
But perhaps one day ... ?

Indeed, it seems a bit strange, Poles and Turks in Ukraine. But the map of Europe was redrawn as often.

Best regards,
Paul
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM
TE Expert

Hello Paul and Mariusz,
I recently read an amazing novel by Polish writer Olga Tokarczuk called (approximately) "The Jacobean Books" (Księgi Jakubowe), about a Jewish sect in 18th century Poland. That was a time of Poles and Turks in Ukraine (and large parts of eastern Europe). I don't know if it is yet in English or Dutch, but I read it in Swedish. A great book, but at 1000 pages not so good for reading in bed.
Gert