Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-18-2005, 06:01 AM
TE Newbie

Default A Photographer's Guide to Paris

Iíll be in Paris for a week on vacation in September 2005. I need a Photographer's Guide to Paris NOT a Travel Guide to Paris. I would like to know what camera accessories I need such as Lens, Lens Adapter, Filter, Tripod, etc. for my Canon PowerShot A80 camera. I donít want to go crazy and I want to be fun. Internet is just too overwhelming. I would like to take good-quality photos of The Arc de Triomphe and The Eiffel Tower at night or take a daylight picture of the river Seine.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help on this,
Anastazija
Old 08-20-2005, 05:15 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: A Photographer's Guide to Paris

Try this for starters: http://www.photo.net/france/paris

Enjoy your trip.

John Munro
Lakewood, Colorado
Old 08-20-2005, 11:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Anastazija ! I hope you'll have as fun in Paris as I have each week-end ! So, I have some experience to share with you :)

What do you need ? I would say the camera alone for the day is enough. You will need more imagination than accessories during the day. Wide angle is not necessary since the avenues leading to such monuments are really large so you will always have the opportunity to make few steps aside or behind to get the whole picture :) For the night, you absolutely need a tripod. Just skip the diner and try to be ready to take pictures between 9:00 and 10:00 PM to get the best sky together with the lights of the City !!!

Have fun and don't hesitate asking if you want more tips ! You may find some ideas in my gallery :)

Steven
Old 08-21-2005, 03:30 PM
TE Newbie

Hi John,

Well, I did start with that web siteÖ

The amount of information on the Internet can be overwhelming. Using the Internet to research can be tricky but Iím fine now. I found what I need.

Thanks for your help,
Anastazija
Old 08-21-2005, 03:34 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Steven,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply.

I enjoyed your galleries very much, the photos from France are great, especially the photo series The City of Lights, my favorite.

All the best,
Anastazija
Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 AM
TE Expert

well, i think you will have an exciting time, as planning on it, with the camera. I am not sure what lens you have already. I think a place like paris, which has a lot of character, sights and people, a lot to take in, deserve to be visited with a wide-angle (18mm,ie. 29 dig at least), wide-angle shots will really situate and define the place, once you look and have friends look at the pix afterwards. Of course, mid-range zoom is always fun, especially for architectural details and the odd scene, or pretty face!
Also, since you may be on the move, enjoying yourself, consider a monopod maybe, rather than a tripod. It's less of a set-up (some can be attached to the belt), easy to lift and move around, and it can be used for night shots of people on the move. Lighter too.

September is one of the great months to be in Paris. the weather is still clement (I hope!), the days quite long, and people are relaxed, vacations are just a few days or weeks gone.

Good luck with the eventual choices, and have a great trip!
H
Old 08-28-2005, 04:14 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Herve,

Thanks so much for your response, and for sharing your knowledge.

All the best,
Anastazija