To holmertz: The virus and the mask - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-05-15 7:30

Hello Claude,
A brilliantly captured main photo and two very funny workshops. Some people seem to regard the mask as an accessory, like those who constantly keep their glasses on top of the head. What if the virus stuck in the hair will eventually be moved to the mouth and nose?... :-(
Regards,
Gert

Old 05-15-2020, 06:43 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: The virus and the mask

Hi Gert and Claude,

Gert wonders what will happen if the virus stucked in the hair will afterwards move to the mouth or the nose.
Here in Belgium they explained us that the mask serves to protect others if you unknowingly carry the virus. Not exactly to protect yourself.
People who are infected will mainly leave the virus in their mask, not in the hair or clothes of other people.

That would then be the theory of the virus that so little is known about.

In reality, I find the mask horrible since my glasses get always fogged.
The risk of falling on my face has become much greater now

Stay safe !
Paul

Old 05-15-2020, 10:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Masks......

Hi All,

Paul is absolutely right - the real reason for wearing a mask is to protect others, not yourself, as the mask, hopefully, will catch any droplets if you cough or sneeze, so reducing the chances of them being blown into other people's faces.

As a retired surgeon, I spent half my life wearing these darn things. The secret of not having your spectacles fogging up is that "proper" disposable paper masks have a thin strip of stiffening - usually soft malleable metal (aluminium or similar) - running horizontally across the central part of the top edge so, once you have put your mask on, you can "nip" the top edge of the mask over the top of your nose so it stays there and that largely prevents exhaled air from blowing upwards and steaming up your glasses. Worth a try if the masks you have are equipped with that facility.

Of course, if you're an anaesthetist, you don't give a damn about the patient's wounds becoming infected (that's always the surgeon's fault) - you're only there to poison the patient with noxious gases and, you hope, eventually wake them up - so you can merrily cavort about the operating theatre wearing your mask in the manner so perfectly demonstrated in Claude's workshop #1, frequently snorting while leaning over the patient's abdomen which is open to the four winds, while scratching your nose and complaining to the surgeon he is taking too long. Happy days.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:02 PM
TE Expert

Hello John, Claude en Gert,

We got here an unexpected insight into what might happen in the operating room
Yes, my masks do have a thin strip of stiffening but ... practice is yet different from theory.

Stay safe!
Paul