To tyro: Tonic wine - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2020-05-17 12:15

Hello Jean,

Your title is very true indeed - I had always thought that Buckfast Abbey was far, far older! So, yes, a fascinating note you have given us.

You have also given us three lovely photographs, each of remarkable quality considering that they were taken with a phone - but, of course, not just a phone - but an iPhone! :) I think your edited version of your main photograph is a definite improvement as the lighting on the building is so much nicer. And what a fine image from inside - I presume that is looking up the square tower with the clock.

Here in Scotland, of course, we are well aware of "Buckfast" or, as it is more commonly known, "Bucky" - or is it "Buckie", I'm not sure - that "tonic wine" made at the Abbey and drunk in copious quantities by the young (and not so young) of Glasgow and Lanarkshire. I remember tasting it once and it was pretty horrid - very sweet with a strong vanilla flavour but also a strong background flavour a bit like the strong cough medicine our mothers used to give us when we were kids. It has a similar alcohol content to fortified wines like sherry (around 16%, I think) but it is also very high in caffeine content - and apparently it is the combination of alcohol and caffeine (rather than just the alcohol levels) which are reckoned to cause some mental effects such as aggression and general lawlessness after consuming large quantities of the stuff. If you've not already tried it, I'd give it a miss quite honestly.

Come to think of it, why didn't the French Benedictine monks who founded this place decide not to just make Benedictine liqueur? I'm sure that would have been much nicer! :)

Thank you for sharing these pictures and a great note.

Excellent!

You take care and stay safe.

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: Tonic wine

Hello John,
Yes I did know about the tonic wine. It was featured on the news quite some time ago, for the very reasons that you mentioned.

In the grounds of the Abbey, there is a shop, a café/restaurant and some pleasant gardens to stroll around.
I guess that it is an income for the Abbey and the monks. But no monks will be seen serving coffee or pasties!

Thanks for your kind comments.
Keep safe and take care.
Regards
Jean.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:49 PM
TE Expert

Default Oops, workshop!

Hello again Jean,

Thank you for your reply. I'm pleased that you've already decided to avoid the "Buckie"!

But I'm so sorry about talking about the workshop in my critique - I did, of course (and without looking properly) think that you had done the editing on your main image - but that, of course was Gert - so sorry about that misunderstanding!

Kind Regards,

John.