Does this place remind anyone of www.photoSIG.com? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-25-2002, 01:33 AM
TE Newbie

Default Does this place remind anyone of www.photoSIG.com?

It does to me - very similar, but with a rather travel/geographical bias.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:14 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Does this place remind anyone of www.photoSIG.

I'm a casual user of photosig, and recently began browsing trekearth. The only similarities I see are basic tools like the ability to upload/view photos, submit critiques, etc that would be common to any photo critique site. The "look and feel" seem very different to me. Also, the scale and overall philosophy of the two sites seems very different. Everything here is centered around travel/location. I see photosig as a much broader site, for a bigger audience with broader objectives.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:20 AM
TE Senior Member

I've never seen photoSig before but it looks like a cool site, thanks.

Based on looking just now, the two look alike in that they're both photo community web sites & they're both clean & well-designed. Seems to me that it's like saying does Yahoo Auctions remind anyone of Ebay? Does Google remind anyone of Altavista?
Old 11-05-2002, 05:36 AM
TE Newbie

I have visited photoSig recently and am impressed with the number of participants and quality of the work (after seeing some, I feel like hanging up my camera). However, these benefits, in my opinon, are almost detriments -- the fact that the site is massive (309,000+ photos, 3M+ critiques) makes it a bit overwhelming to browse. Also, a large portion of the work I have seen is heavily artistic/based on advanced photo techniques. While I enjoy that, I think you can get bogged-down in technique. TE is nice in that you get a sample of images from all over the world -- often from places you may not have had the chance to visit. Also, while of high quality, I think the TE work is more "down to earth."

Hopefully this site will retain its positive differences.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:48 PM
TE Newbie

Default www.photoSIG.? Heaven forbid!

You don't ever want another site to end up like Psig.
Quality is superb; attitude, competiveness and the administrators are to be avoided at all costs.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:58 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: www.photoSIG.? Heaven forbid!

This environment does seem a bit friendlier to the regular folk like me. I hope it stays that way.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: www.photoSIG.? Heaven forbid!

I will be a little bit contrary here. I still like photoSIG and have benefitted greatly from it. I still participate there, although nowadays, TE is my first stop. The cliques, backslappers, pointtraders, et al certainly are a pain there, as they are at photopoints. Sadly, I think that is largely human nature. To be honest, I find photopoints to be much worse than photoSIG ever was. Not to be too cynical, but on photopoints their clubbers dedicate photos to each other, act as though they are closer to the other clubbers than they are to their own families and generally act so artificial and so sweet I am affraid of getting diabetes simply from surfing the site.

To photoSIG's credit, I really do believe they made a true effort to reduce backslapping, clubs, etc when they changed to V2. Unfortunately for SIG, by doing so, they seemed to introduce too many restrictions and rules, the place didn't seem so fun anymore.
The only ones who were able to quickly figure out the rules (and how to bend them) were the clubbers. I do have to give them (photoSIG administrators) credit for trying. The quality of photography used to be very high on photoSIG (it has dropped IMO). No offense to the people here, but the average level of photo submitted used to be and to a lesser degree still is, quite a lot higher than it is here. This doesn't mean the level here is low, simply that there were many, many more professionals and very serious hobbyists who were members. Also, because there were basically no restrictions upon the types of photos which could be posted there, as well as how they were processed, there was more scope for expanding the boundries and allowing for tremendous photos of all genres. This is not to lament what we have here, I prefer it, but I don't deny the skills and the artistic vision others have. What I really like about PhotoSIG is that it was the first site of its kind I joined, and due to my participation there, I have become a much better photographer. The reason for my improvement was due in part to the large number of high quality posters there, but it was really more due to my giving critiques. By giving quite thorough and picky critiques (both there and here), my own photography has improved so much. I really believe it is the single most valuable thing web sites such as this can do for photographers. I have photoSIG to thank for starting me on the road to analytical thought about photography and I have trekearth to thank for allowing me to continue along that road.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: www.photoSIG.? Heaven forbid! Part two

Bart mentioned the admins on photoSIG as being a problem. I certainly believe that used to be true. One admin in particular was a total ass, no other way to put it. He was arrogant, rude, condescending, totally in love with himself and his power. It was certainly the single worst hiring decision Willis (the owner) ever made. That admin person (no names from me) is no longer in that position (my guess is forced to resign), but he still continues to haunt the forums and do quite a lot of damage to the site, IMO. The admin staff they have now does quite a good job of trying to placate a large number of users. They can't make everyone happy, but by and large I think they do ok.

The forums at photoSIG also got to be and still are a problem. At one point (early 2003, due in large part to Gulf War II), the political extremists from both sides seemed to take over, and the feelings became outright hostile. That was allowed to go on too long I think, but finally was removed completely. Even now, primarily through a very few members, the forums can flare up into somewhat of a (un)civil war. Every village needs its idiot and photoSIG being a large virtual village has a number of them. It is too bad, but there are those who haunt the forums there who really ruin it for more moderate users. Active forums can be a difficult thing on the net. The increase traffic and can foster a sense of community, but when they get out of hand, they can tear things apart in a hurry.

Anyways, like I said, I still visit photoSIG and still enjoy my time there. They do need to do something to increase the activity of critiquers, and there are other problems for them to work out, but because it is where I started out, I still feel comfortable there. Do I want trekearth to become like photoSIG? Not for even a second. I like the sense of community here and the relative lack of competition (it does show up, more now than before I am affraid). PhotoSIG is no threat to trekearth, I try to benefit from belonging to both sites.I also flat out love the subject matter here. Two of my favorite things are travel and photography. It is like this site was made for me. Long live photoSIG and for certain, long live trekearth.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:54 PM
TE Newbie

Photosig is a hostile, competitive environment full of animosity and one-upmanship, and it's getting to be that it would be more aptly-named Photoshop-sig. Moreover, you simply couldn't let your children browse it unsupervised. There is no comparison with TrekEarth other than both having pictures. The attitude is different, and the subject matter is totally different. TrekEarth is a great place for people like me with a geographical bent who just want to show and look at nice photos of places. I hope it stays that way.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Does this place remind anyone of www.photoSIG.com?

I looked at Psig and I tried a little at Photopoints and Photo.net but the problem I see with those sites are that the enormous flow of random pictures of perfect quality is of no interest to me as they are just dead pictures - there is no information in them and nothing to learn from them. Because of that the quickly become very boring. I you are a photo tech freak it might suite you but if your interest is more about the life on this planet you should go with TE - the DIY National Geographic.