good and never heard of - Page 8 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-03-2006, 06:05 PM
TE Expert

Default Surat Osathanugrah

Back from Thailand, here's my latest heart blow : Surat Osathanugrah, probably the most reknown thai photographer, unfortunately un-noticed in our lands.

Surat is Thailand's RPP prez, Manny, who's a RPP fellow, should know him then (if you ever read this, could you tell us more about your head honcho, Manny). He published that extraordinary book called Vanishing Bangkok where he shows he's both the Doisneau (for the kids) and Erwitt (for the dogs) of Bangkok, also you can throw in HCB for the rigorous compositions and Raghu Rai for the dramatic contrasty lighting.

I found his book in Krabi's airport bookshop and thought at 1000 baht (20 euros) this a was a bargain... his moody BW photos of a typical Bangkok was so inspirational I only used BW films for the rest of the trip.

This is a book for Bangkok lovers exclusively, which I am... It will also satisfy stay cats and dogs aficionados pics. The closer images you can think of are Simon's images but yet with a special twist. Don't miss it if you ever shop in Bangkok bookstores.

Cheers
Luko
Old 01-05-2006, 03:49 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: good and never heard of

This thread turned out to be quite a success, with many of the links provided sitting nicely in my favourites, with most of the artists I have never heard of.

Few more for your eyes.

Erik Refner, photo stories in black and white.

Alberto Monteiro. I think this site has a bit for everyone (one may think it’s not a good sign but I am truly impressed), imo great portraits, travel, and landscapes. BW photography.

Ragnar Axelsson Out of this world landscapes and travel, IMO his images from Greenland and Island are one of it’s kind. Black and White.

Jeanloup Sieff My french friends may argue that he shouldn’t be classified as “never heard of’ but I will bring up his site nevertheless. Some portraits, fashion, nude but I am especially impressed by the landscapes, one day I would like to shoot one just like his.

Peter
Old 01-28-2006, 06:00 PM
TE Expert

Default Siegfried

Never heard his name when I came across one his sole photobook called zigzag in a parisian bookstore (FNAC not to name it)not later than an hour ago. It was a revelation : I instantly bought it.
It happens that Siegfried is a multi gifted artist, as a film director and a music composer. Photography is not his lesser skill. Unfortunately I didn't find any sites about him : open the thumbnail of the cover of his book and you'll imagine what kind of photo he does.

If you like BW humanist photos about the world, no horror but simply connections with children, old men, lovely women... if you like in this site the boldness of Sohrab, the kindful eye of Simon, the generous portraits of Manny and contrasty BW, well this book is for you.

Warning : If you open this book, you might tempted of buying it!

-----------------------------------------------

Talking about horror, I opened Philip Blenkinsop's "Extreme asia" and had mixed feeling between crying and puking. For people who like road accidents, slaughtering dogs for their meat, morgue reports and so on, fresh graveyards, this book is for you... (How can someone buy this book is mystery to me).

-----------------------------------------------

For Parisian shoppers, two recommandations :
- "Rana Tharu princesses of the forest", a nepalese documentary photo book from Eric Valli. plenty of used samples at "mona lisait" uesd/sold bookstores for 5 Euros!
- "Going East" by Max Pam : for me, the best photobook that was ever published, 20 euros at the same bookstores.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:26 AM
TE Junior Member

I just wanted to thank people for keeping this current. It's been really illuminating to see some of these photographer's works and I'm grateful for this resource.

I feel I should add something of my own but I'm still getting acquainted with all the gang at Magnum by trying to make my way through the list alphabetically. Outside of Magnum, I did enjoy "China Obscura" by Mark Leong. Though I'm not sure that qualifies as "never heard of".
Old 03-13-2006, 05:30 AM
TE Expert

just trying to resurect this interesting thread.
Anne Baryin - she is a bit of everthing (this can be a bad thing, but IMO her everything is good enough for anyone to like), mostly colours and shapes.
Peter
Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Default good and never heard of

Hi everone.. just found this photographer on pbase... I believe that he has some awesone photos /series for example the one on the 'sugarcane harvesters' and 'In search of the Godman'...

http://www.pbase.com/bvcuma/root

Bala
Old 03-23-2006, 04:36 AM
TE Expert

Thanks, Bala, Bruce is good, I have seen him before, didn't go to his site in a while, time to revisit again.
Peter
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 AM
TE Junior Member

China Obscura is a great book at a prettty good price ($17 I think). Leong never really gets caught in a set composition and his layering is fantastic.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:17 AM
TE Expert

Mark,

I thought you would nominate yourself;) Not heard of ... yet ! Hows the gig going? Fill us in.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:37 PM
TE Expert

this thread has been dead for a while, decided to resurect it.
boogie is the name of the photog, black and white street and stories, some stuff that is quite difficult like gangs and drugs, some just a street photography, most impressed with his subway, do have ethical issues with his OD series.
some stuff from NY, Cuba, Brazil, Europe, not everything is great, but definetely enough to spend some time on his site.
Peter