Picture sharpness - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 05:15 AM
TE Newbie

Default Picture sharpness

I have posted a few pictures. After resizing the original photo (of about 1.5 to 2 Megabyte size) using Microsoft Photo Editor under Image to reduce size of pizels, and changing the Properties from True Colour (24 bit) to Palette or 256 colour (8 bit), I find that my pictures are no longer crispy clear. Any advice?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:29 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Picture sharpness

I've found that sharpening only works if applied AFTER the image has been resized.
However, I've only ever resized in Photoshop.

Hope this helps,
- Dan
Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM
TE Newbie

Resizing does tend to effect the sharpness, and often the contrast. If I'm uploading an image that has already been sharpened I usually resharpen after resizing and add 1 contrast 1 brightness in Photoshop. If I'm using an image that hasn't been sharpened, the last thing I do after resizing is sharpen it.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:10 PM
TE Junior Member

Do not convert your photos into 256 colors mode. In 256 colors mode any photo will look ugly.

As stated in other replies - sharpening should always be done after photo is downsized.
I never tried Microsoft photo editor, so don't if it can do sharpening properly. I would recommend Irfanview. It's free and easy to use program that does resizing and sharpening quite well.

Linas
Old 03-22-2008, 08:51 AM
TE Senior Member

Have a look at the tutorial by AdrianW. On his Website is a section with some tutorials, they are helpfull!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Linas is absolutely correct - do not change from 24 bits. Do all your work on the photo in full size, then resize, and finish by sharpening a little. If you wish to use a frame, add this as the last step, as sharpening a thin black line can make it look thinner than you intended it to be. Just remember to leave pixels for the frame when you resize.
Andrew
Old 03-29-2008, 11:46 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Dan,

I've never mastered the art of re-sizing in PS, mainly because I was advised to use BD Sizer very early on in my digital photography 'career'.

Personally, I do all my adjustments (including sharpening) in whatever imaging suite I'm using (CS3 or Capture NX) and then run it through BD Sizer. This is a fantastic piece of software - all you have to do is select the maximum number of pixels down the longest side, select the maximum file size, hit re-size, save it and use it. Why Photoshop can't be as simple, I have no idea.....!

The link is here:

http://www.idimager.com/?page=freeware

Definitely worth a try - and there's also some half-decent automatic borders / text options as well.

Regards, Paul.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:12 PM
TE Expert

Why Photoshop can't be as simple, I have no idea.....?“

It’s a great and very legitimate question, Paul.
I wasn’t able to answer that question till I’ve reach maturity age (aka: Drinking age) and then I was smart enough to figure the answer on my own…
You see, brother…
Some people prefer Lamborghini to drive, and some people prefer Tata
Some men prefer to make love to the princesses on the king size bed, and some men do ‘it’ with the janitor woman after the office hours.
Some people prefer Photoshop (Lamborghini), and some use BDsizer (Tata)…

It just a matter of preference and taste…
H
ave a great, juicy weekend, folks

Humble – george

…………………………….

BTW: Re-sizing is simpler in PS. (but only for those who knows how to drive Lamborghini)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
TE Expert

Are you trying to tell us that Tata is the best if it comes to re-sizing the photos for TE ???

g.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:00 PM
TE Newbie

Hello all...
I don't understand the controversy over re-sizing in PS. All you need do is to go to the drop-down menu under 'File', selelect 'Save for Web', and go through the protocols set out inthe new window: select 'Image Size' and enter youtr dimensions'; select 'Optimize' and enter 200,; select 'Save' and save to a file reserved for e-mail and web site images. Re-open the newly saved web image, sharpen it, add whatever light/contrast values you want, re-save it to the same file, and you're done.