Copyright Infrignement on TE and TL - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 06:16 PM
TE Newbie

Default Copyright Infrignement on TE and TL

Hey,
I am sure this has been beatin to death on the site already but I'm new so a little help would be appreacaited. I was just wondering who has experienced people stealing their photos and how often this occurs with this site. I read the threads regarding the Fuji compeitions and it makes me so mad that I am hesistating uploading anymore. Is this really a problem or am I just paranoid now becasue of that one guy.

Also on the flip side I guess, anyone have any stories regarding postive feedback and people / organizations askign to sue their photos legitimatley ?

Thanks alot.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Copyright Infrignement on TE and TL

At the end of the day; as soon as someone else can see your images they can steal them. Doesn't matter what you do. If you hang them in a gallery, someone can snap them with a cameraphone. If you put them online, someone can screenshot them.

Even if none of the above happens, even a glimpse is sometimes all someone will need to work out where and how your shot was taken; if they feel so inclined they can probably make it themselves later unless the circumstances were really unique.

The key is to minimize your risk. Clearly mark the images with your copyright. Don't post excessively large versions (stay with 800px or less).

If you're really worried use something like DigiMarc to track your images; be aware that it's not cheap though.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM
TE Newbie

I too have had photos stolen from this site and from TL. A total of eight (8) photos were stolen and used om music cds and were for sale in Obidos, Portugal. I have since deleted all of my photos from both site - It just is not worth posting your best shots or any photos that you don't want to be stolen.

Refer to this forum for further details.

Regards,
David
Old 07-16-2007, 09:20 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Scott,

Yes, I had one image used without permission to illustrate a travel website. But I knew the risk when posting. What annoys me, however, is that the TE file size limit is too small to make digital watermarking an option (it can add 200Kb alone to an image or more). Hence I use Flickr where, with a pro account ($25 per year), I can upload individual files to 10Mb. But many people out there are decent. I was approached by a Japanese company to use one of my images when they could simply have copied it. But it's the criminal few who grab the headlines and sadly we have to contend with.

Best wishes

Stephen
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM

Image theft is a problem, and not only from the Trek... sites. Any image loaded onto the internet can be stolen. The only way to ensure that a photo isn't stolen is not to post it onto the internet. That would obviously mean the end of sites such as this.
It is possible to add a faint watermark, and I suspect many people who use this site would react less badly to such an action than they would have a few years ago.
I have had one image used legitimately as a result of posting images on this site. I was contacted to see if a publisher could use one of my images and my t&c's for so doing.